transmission fluid exchange

2007 Accord EX4, 33k miles, bring in for oil change and checkup, dealer says tranny fluid is dirty and recommends exchange. Knowing Honda trannies I agree. But, $100, is that the going rate?
Thanks.
J.
ps - also replaced the battery on warranty.
He is probably going to put it on a machine that pumps fluid through the transmission. I wouldn't let them do it. Honda came out with a service tip that said doing it could damage the screens in the transmission. All they recommend is a drain and fill that drains ~ 3 1/2 quarts. If it does look dirty, You can look at it yourself, then do three drain and fills with a short drive between. Do it yourself. It is a simple operation. Check your manual as it probably calls for a drain and fill at 30k.

They did? What Honda Service News article would that be? I have them all and see nothing like this.
Honda does prohibit "FLUSHES" (HSN: Feb/06), which are totally different from fluid changes.

Actually, it calls for a fluid change whenever Maintenance Minder sub-item 3 is indicated. If sub-item 3 is NOT indicated, the fluid does NOT need to be changed.
However, if you spend a lot of time at low speeds or trailer towing in the mountains, the change interval is initially 60K miles, then every 30K thereafter.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 4/18/2009 6:51 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:

Tegger, I would say that what Woody is describing above is a flush, but maybe I don't understand.
I don't have a maintenance minder (03 Accord 4 cyl), and my manual doesn't call for transmission fluid change until 105K or 120K miles (whichever it was, I did it then, for the first time.) I have seen many people say that doing it every 30K miles is a good preventative idea and can't hurt, like the folks who insist on changing oil every 3K miles. Not necessary, but no harm done.
My 01 Odyssey (which has the v6 automatic tranny) also didn't call for a change until 120K miles. and I didn't change it until then. It's now at 160K, and I seem to have been lucky, although I would have changed it more often if I had been made more aware of the V6-auto failure problems that Honda was having in that range of years.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no
god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Honda defines a "flush" as a service that involves the use of solvents as a cleaner prior to the installation of the new ATF.
If the service involves a fluid change ONLY without the introduction of any unauthorized substances, that's OK by Honda regardless of the method used.

Both are excellent ideas. I have been told by two oil engineers that, from a purely technical standpoint, you can never change lubricants too often.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

that's odd - i know one of the lubricant folks at exxon-mobil, and he says the opposite. and it's not like he makes more money selling less of it.

What are your guy's specific reasons for NOT changing your oil?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

he doesn't say /never/ change it, just run it for its full life. particularly with synthetics, if it's chemically stable, provided it's not contaminated, there's no reason not to. based on some of the stuff he's said, i ran my last motor oil to 12k miles, and will probably go 20k on the current batch, because analysis shows it's staying the course.

Price sounds about right. They've probably allowed 30-45 minutes labor plus materials.
BUT... Is your Maintenance Minder showing sub-item 3? If not, and if you don't spend a lot of time climbing hills or towing trailers, then fluid replacement is OPTIONAL at this time. The dealer may be just trying to pad their bottom line with your dollar bills.
You really really should read your Owner's Manual. It could save you a few bucks.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks.
Did not show 3, I did a 2 a few months ago, and this was a 1.
I would not put much past this dealer, but OTOH my experience with my last few Hondas suggest changing out the tranny fluid more often than they recommend. I'm not towing any trailers, just that fine mix of Los Angeles traffic that's 5mph when it's not 80mph. Overall, I'm a very gentle driver these days - or I'd choose a sportier car! Tranny does seem much snappier now with the new fluid, I had noticed some funny boggy shifting in recent days.
J.

My personal opinion is that you cannot change your transmission fluid too often. The more often the better. But many balk at the cost of those changes, so in my recommendations I stick with Honda's official schedules.
I do ours myself, several times a year. Since the price for me consists of parts only, it's cheap.

Hey, I know that deal! Been there, done that. Did the 405 at 4:00 in the afternoon on a weekday. Daughter (six at the time) had to pee at one point so we got off the 405 at La Cienega. What's that donut shop with the giant donut on the roof? She peed there, at that historical landmark. A memorable moment indeed.

That just might have been old fluid: the friction modifiers would have degraded.