transmission oil change?

My 2001 Civic has 117k miles on it. I've heard from some that I shoudn't have the transmission power flushed or it might cause problems. Instead, I'm told to just drain it 3 or 4 times. Comments?
Mike
James Lewis wrote:

------------------------------
If it's an auto, you take it for a drive, drain the fluid, wipe the magnet, replace the copper crush washer. You refill it with Honda Z1, and drive it around for a while. You do it again next weekend. You can certainly do it a third time if you wish. I like to give it a week so the magnet will catch as much stuff as it can before I get to wipe it off the second time. It's less than 4 quarts each time. On an Odyssey / Accord you can get over 4 litres out of it.
'Curly'

Instead,
Well it sounds like a unanimous agreement NOT to flush. I'm not a mechanic so don't know what "wipe the magnet" means. Will a reputable mechanic shop do that without being told are do I have to explain what I'm trying to accomplish and will be back another time or two (I've had it drained once already)?
Mike
James Lewis wrote:

Honda recommends the drain/fill muliple times routine and not the power flush. I don't know exactly why, but I bet they have their reasons!
John
James Lewis wrote:

---------------------------
Best guess why they don't want you 'power flushing' the auto: There's an internal filter, and if somebody (Monkey Lube) hooked up the pressure lines the wrong way, the filter's contents would be distributed evenly though the whole tranny and cooler. Wouldn't be pretty.
'Curly'

Is this something to do just on high-mileage autos?
On a new car, following recommended procedures, the dealer will change the fluid about every 30k miles. Do they do a multiple flush even then? Guess not.
J.

Mainly it applies if the drain and refill hasn't been done regularly, so the fluid is nasty. If done on schedule (in the owner's manual, IIRC) it only needs one incremental drain/fill per interval.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

My '03 owners manual specifically calls for the multiple drain/fill routine at the specified service intervals. This is because draining only gets less than 1/3 of the fluid out in a single drain. Much is trapped in the torque converter and cooling circuit.
John
| Much is trapped in the torque converter and cooling circuit.
Does your g-box have a filter ? My F20A's did not, so its fluid had a lot of dirt. My Mitsubishi 4G15P's g-box has a filter : its fluid was clean even after 76701 km 's use.

Aha, thanks! Think I'll ask the dealer about this, what their practice is. I've been very unhappy with Honda auto performance in my last two cars, and I know the oil change helps, at least briefly.
J.