Transmission Whines

This is a new 2005 LX. The transmission starts to whine, although very faint,at 40 mph. The high pitch whine gets louder between 50 and 55 mph but
disappears above 55 mph. The same noise appears when shifting down from 55+ mph. I took the car to the dealer and they said it is normal gear change noise. Should I hear gear change noise between 50 - 55 mph and is it normal ?