Turn signal flasher - 94 Accord

For a 94 Accord, is there a separate flasher that can be easily and inexpensively replaced - like cars had back in the day? Or is it more complicated than that?
When I move the turn signal lever, I get rapid clicking for a few seconds, but the indicator arrows don't light up. But then it settles down and flashes normally. Happens left and right. So I figured the flasher is just wearing out.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's your combo switch, not any "flasher" wearing out.
The combo switch is the assembly behind the steering wheel which houses the turn signal lever and the headlight and wiper levers.
Rapidly move the turn lever from left to right 20 times or so in succession. This may clean off enough of the corrosion to ensure proper contact for a while longer.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
βœ–
Tegger wrote:

You might also try spraying a liberal dose of WD-40 if corrosion is the problem. That's how I fixed nearly non-functioning switches on my old gen 2 Civics...
JT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tegger says...
> It's your combo switch, not any "flasher" wearing out.
> The combo switch is the assembly behind the steering > wheel which houses the turn signal lever and the > headlight and wiper levers.
> Rapidly move the turn lever from left to right 20 times > or so in succession. This may clean off enough of the > corrosion to ensure proper contact for a while longer.
Thanks for the information.
In case that doesn't work, or doesn't work for long, is replacement of the switch something a reasonably handy normal human being can do without special tools or a magic decoder ring?
Also, in looking at the Honda parts sites in your FAQ, it appears that the entire combination switch, including both the light side and the wiper side plus the center section, is about $155. But just the light side switch is $25. Since they are sold separately, would I be correct to assume I could replace just that part? Is it likely that's where the problem is, or is it more likely in the center section?
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inpu tstate=5&catcgry1¬CORD&catcgry294&catcgry3MR+LX&catcgry4=KA4A T&catcgry5=COMBINATION+SWITCH+%281%29
Add pictures here
βœ–

Pretty much, yes. The tough part is getting the steering column shrouds off. Without removing the steering wheel, you have to play with tilt position and flex to get them off.

Yep.
The only way of telling for certain is to remove the unit and test/visually inspect it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
βœ–
Tegger says...
> The tough part is getting the steering column shrouds > off. Without removing the steering wheel, you have to > play with tilt position and flex to get them off.
I looked at it briefly this afternoon, and didn't see any seam in the shroud that would let me do that, but I'll look again. Is there a guide to this procedure anywhere online - a video perhaps?
> The only way of telling for certain is to remove the > unit and test/visually inspect it.
Yeah, I was hoping if I could get it out I might be able to clean it up and get it working again.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Peabody wrote:

you need to buy the honda service manual. access to the shroud requires steering wheel removal, and with the airbag, contact coil [or whatever it's called] etc, you need to follow detailed instructions on how to do it safely. buy it online at helminc.com.
Add pictures here
βœ–
jim beam says...
> Peabody wrote:
>> Tegger says...
>> > The tough part is getting the steering column shrouds >> > off. Without removing the steering wheel, you have to >> > play with tilt position and flex to get them off.
>> I looked at it briefly this afternoon, and didn't see >> any seam in the shroud that would let me do that, but >> I'll look again. Is there a guide to this procedure >> anywhere online - a video perhaps?
>> > The only way of telling for certain is to remove the >> > unit and test/visually inspect it.
>> Yeah, I was hoping if I could get it out I might be >> able to clean it up and get it working again.
> you need to buy the honda service manual. access to the > shroud requires steering wheel removal, and with the > airbag, contact coil [or whatever it's called] etc, you > need to follow detailed instructions on how to do it > safely. buy it online at helminc.com.
Well, I looked again, and I was wrong about the shroud. There is indeed a seam, and the top appears to be held on by three Phillips-head screws, two on the right and one on the left.
I may not be able to remove the light switch without first removing the steering wheel, but I might be able to get to it well enough to clean it, or maybe spray some contact cleaner into it and exercise it a bit.
I'll give it a try this weekend.
Oh, and I did confirm that, as Tegger predicted, it's not the flasher module that's going bad. The emergency flasher uses the same flasher, and it has no problems when the turn signal is screwing up. Of course I don't know for sure it's the combo switch, but it seems awfully likely at this point.
Thanks for everybody's help.
Add pictures here
βœ–