Turning Rotors: a case study...

diffusion, the migration of carbon atoms in the iron matrix, happens well below red heat. but /significant/ diffusion, recrystallization, graphite flake/nodule growth, or other phase changes, doesn't. and if you're trying to argue that a brake disk is martensitic, you need to think again.

if your gm disk warps in 15k, you need to consider other factors. for honda, elastic distortion caused by incorrect wheel lug torquing has a huge influence. but if it's the disk alone, things like bad post-casting heat treatments, uneven material thickness, etc. can influence whether a disk stays true at high temperatures. the most likely item is cutting corners on heat treatment and reducing heat soak time.

my money's on incorrect lug torquing.

i was a vehicle mechanic for 5 years and also have a materials degree. is that good enough?

Reply to
jim beam

============================================================== TOPIC: Turning Rotors: a case study...

In two messages you wrote that "centering" the disks is important, and if this is not done properly it will give "inconsistent results." This is what I was responding to. Can you read? The relevant excerpts are right here. (I had written "coaxiality" when I meant centricity. I have corrected this already.)

Correcting you, I wrote, "Relevant is that the machined surface and the mounting surface are perpendicular to the axis." Can you read? You do not "need to read around a bit more," it's right here.

Pulsing "because of momentum differences due to the mass of the caliper vs. the piston," and "the mass on each side is the same and there's little net effect." Rubbish!

Reply to
karl

Apparently not - it hasn't helped you to do the job correctly. Like I said before, there's one in every group. Although Dave Kelsen may once again take issue with that.

Reply to
doug

really? why? i'd love to see your explanation.

Reply to
jim beam

so why don't you make a technical rebuttal? share your superior knowledge.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
doug

jim beam wrote:

Karl - he's not worth the time or effort to try and discuss this with. But I think you already know this ;-)

doug

Reply to
doug