UK Civic 1.7 CTDI Intermittent Power Loss

I've got a 54 plate 1.7 diesel civic UK that yesterday suffered a major bout of power loss,It wouldn't accelerate over 2500 rpms and i couldn't hear the
turbo kick in,I've took it today to my local honda main dealer who told me if i restarted the car more than 3 times it will have cleared the computers memory of recorded faults??? and thus theres nothing they can do? is this true on this model? It sounds like a turbo fault to me but unless the computer records a fault theres nothing they can do about it.Anyone heard of this? I thought the computer recorded fault codes indefinately until they hooked up the fault code reader and reset them?
Ady wrote:

I think you're closer to the truth than the dealer. Didn't you get any kind of indication on the instruments? Have you ever watched while the dash performs the 'lamp check' described in the owner's manual? Maybe you've got a lamp out. Bear in mind I'm referring to gasoline vehicles.
'Curly

There is an engine management light on the dash but it never came on at all during the power loss or after neither.it comes on when you first start the car so it's working fine.
Ady wrote:

for diesels, in theory, it's fuel blockage or air blockage. govenor control is also a possibility, but way low on the list of probability.
check/replace air and fuel filters. i once saw a mouse nested in an air intake - slowed the car down real effectively. fuel filter replacement on a diesel usually requires purging the system, so be sure you read the book on how to do it right.

Thx for that but the car has only just had it's 1st 9000 mile service about 2 miles ago,i really doubt it's anything to do with them 2.