Until you're involved with a FATAL accident first, you'll learn Hybrid Isn't worth.

Page 2 of 3

day to drive in the city, a daily tax called the congestion charge which hybrid owners are exempt from.
--
Clive

Clive wrote:

Uh, that's why just over two hundred years ago, some people revolted...
JT

existed 200 years ago, I learn something new every day.
--
Clive

He refers to our the revolution we fought over taxation without representation. It must been have been a good way to raise money because we sure do a lot of it ourselves today.

Yeah, that's what he meant, but how would London's taxation with representation in the 21st century have any relationship to the colonies' taxation without representation in the 18th century?

What taxation without representation do we have today?
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

people who do. Smokes come to mind but the the best example is property tax on out-of-state property.

That tax is passed by elected representatives, and signed by an elected executive.

I don't know of any state that taxes property in another state.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

Those of us who live here all year get a "homestead exemption" which reduces our property tax by 50%. Moreover, as MN residents we get a percentage of that remainder back from the state. Non resident's don't qualify. Neat, huh? We make the rules, they maintain the roads. Is this a great world or what?

I live in Arizona, where a lot of the property is seasonal too. Voting laws in the country are that those who live in an area get to vote in that area; if someone chooses to own property that is not their primary residence, that's their choice. No one is forcing them to do so.
For that matter, anytime you buy something and pay sales tax outside of the area where you live, you're paying taxes that you weren't represented for, but it's your choice to buy there.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

another they find themselves taxed without representation, as was the case when North America was divided into legal jurisdictions of England, France and Spain.
Note that in my property tax example those living outside the jurisdiction aren't simply paying the same tax those who live within the jurisdiction but instead more than twice as much. It's quite a stretch to compare that with non-residents and residents paying the same sales tax.
In 1773 those who complained of taxation without representation were not forced to live in a British jurisdiction. In 2009, those who complain of taxation without representation in my jurisdiction aren't forced to own property here. Distinction without a difference. Taxation without representation in both cases.

No, not like that case. In the case of the colonists, they were taxed where they lived by a government that was elsewhere, and that they had no representation in. In the case of property tax that we're discussing, the property is not where they live.
About the only people in the United States who have a legitimate claim of taxation without representation are those who live in Washington DC.

So get rid of the homestead exemption.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

So provide a reference to prove it.

Yeah, like Toyota is trying to fight off bankruptcy, like GM is, and is getting rid of an entire subsidiary like GM just did with Pontiac.

Not that anyone can say that there's going to be a need for a battery replacement after ten years, and no one knows what the cost of batteries will be at that time.

And as wrote before, the purpose is not to make one's money back. However, I'm getting about double the gas mileage I did with my previous car (an Acura) with gas that's twenty cents a gallon cheaper. That was saving me about $1300 a year on gasoline when gas was four bucks a gallon. Right now, it's saving me about $940 a year.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

Michelle Steiner ( snipped-for-privacy@michelle.org) writes:

No it's not... you haven't subtracted the pro-rata depreciation of the hybrid battery from your estimated fuel savings.
Pro-rate is... replacement cost of new hybrid battery divided by the number of years in battery warranty equals _added_ depreciation per year to the hybrid car.
What is your REAL WORLD fuel economy in miles per U.S. gallons?

Your flinty-eyed skepticism has yielded success: I appear to be out-of-date.
According to Forbes, "Toyota's Prius came out in 1997 and did not break even until just before the introduction of a second-generation car in model-year 2004."
This from the article <http://www.forbes.com/2005/10/07/hybrids-cars-suvs-cx_dl_1011feat_ls.html
Except that now Toyota dealers can't give Priuses away, so the implied post-'04 profit has probably disappeared.
--
Tegger

The auto manufactures are having a hard time giving anything away. Contrary to what some media is trying to claim, hybrids and other economical cars are doing relatively better, though not as good as when gas was $4. The big SUVs and pickups are getting creamed.

Will I be able to buy one now for say $13500? That's about all I'd pay for one today.

five years out of date, and referring to the previous model, which is nothing like the 04 through 09 model.

Got a cite for that? Other than the fact that the entire auto industry is in the tank, I mean.

Nothing implied about that profit. Furthermore, your conclusion does not follow from the premise, regardless.
<http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009/03/2010-toyota-prius-sales-wi ll-hit-100000-in-2009-toyota-says.html>
In these dismal economic times, no one likes to talk about annual sales projections, but Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager for Toyota Motor Sales USA, did just that at last week's press launch for the 2010 Toyota Prius in California's Napa Valley. Toyota expects to sell 100,000 examples of the 2010 Prius from the time it goes on sale in May until the end of 2009.
Come 2010, the company hopes to return to its 2007 sales pace and sell 180,000 Priuses. You'll recall that Prius sales fell 12.3 percent in 2008 (to 158,884) after a steep drop-off in demand in the fourth quarter.
Yes, Prius sales have been down in the past few months, but that's most likely because people are waiting for the 2010 model, due out next month.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.

it still configures a 2009.

I have to wait until September at the earliest, which is after I get a major bill paid off.
--
It's now time for healing, and for fixing the damage the GOP did to America.