Until you're involved with a FATAL accident first, you'll learn Hybrid Isn't worth.

Primarily sin taxes. People who don't participate in an activity taxing people who do. Smokes come to mind but the the best example is property tax on out-of-state property.

Reply to
Was Istoben

If you do, maybe we can get together for a spot of tea or something.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That tax is passed by elected representatives, and signed by an elected executive.

I don't know of any state that taxes property in another state.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

That works. I'll let you know.

Reply to
Was Istoben

I live in MN lakes country where about 2/3 of the property is seasonal. Those of us who live here all year get a "homestead exemption" which reduces our property tax by 50%. Moreover, as MN residents we get a percentage of that remainder back from the state. Non resident's don't qualify. Neat, huh? We make the rules, they maintain the roads. Is this a great world or what?

Reply to
Was Istoben

I live in Arizona, where a lot of the property is seasonal too. Voting laws in the country are that those who live in an area get to vote in that area; if someone chooses to own property that is not their primary residence, that's their choice. No one is forcing them to do so.

For that matter, anytime you buy something and pay sales tax outside of the area where you live, you're paying taxes that you weren't represented for, but it's your choice to buy there.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Exactly. Whenever one chooses to reside in the legal jurisdiction of another they find themselves taxed without representation, as was the case when North America was divided into legal jurisdictions of England, France and Spain.

Note that in my property tax example those living outside the jurisdiction aren't simply paying the same tax those who live within the jurisdiction but instead more than twice as much. It's quite a stretch to compare that with non-residents and residents paying the same sales tax.

In 1773 those who complained of taxation without representation were not forced to live in a British jurisdiction. In 2009, those who complain of taxation without representation in my jurisdiction aren't forced to own property here. Distinction without a difference. Taxation without representation in both cases.

Reply to
Was Istoben

No, not like that case. In the case of the colonists, they were taxed where they lived by a government that was elsewhere, and that they had no representation in. In the case of property tax that we're discussing, the property is not where they live.

About the only people in the United States who have a legitimate claim of taxation without representation are those who live in Washington DC.

So get rid of the homestead exemption.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Why? Makes us feel like a king!