Upgrade "CHIP" ???

Those "chips" that people sell on ebay, the resistor that plugs into the IAT sensor, does anyone know if that really works? And also if so what colors are on
the resistor, so I can go to radioshack and get 5 for a dollar, instead of paying one of these losers $10 for one. And if it is useless like I think it is, let me know,