URGENT! Brake Help

I'm replacing my rear drum pads on my 92 Honda Civic. I also had to replace a wheel cylinder. I got everything back together and ran into a problem. I can't get the drum to fit of the new brake pads. I've turned the adjuster to the smallest it will go.

I'm 99% positive that I have everything back together correctly. But maybe not since it's not going back together.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome. I need to get this fixed today!

Thanks

Reply to
The Man

"The Man" wrote in news:1158773809.184308.165240 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Is the adjuster loose even with the shoe return spring in place?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Perhaps the brake shoe assembly is not centered on the backing plate? Another possibility is that you did not push the wheel cylinder's pistons in before connecting it to the brake line. This could cause a "hydraulic lock" preventing the shoes from coming back to a full return position. If you suspect this might be the case, try opening the bleeder valve to see if the return springs pull the shoes inward.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
Grahame

In addition to the other comments, make sure the slotted pieces (cylinder ends and adjuster) are seated on the shoes. I've had them bind and not allow the shoes to come in all the way.

If only one side is the problem, you can compare clearances to the other side. Otherwise, is it possible the parts you got are wrong?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Did you back off the emergency brake cable adjustment?

The Man wrote:

Reply to
Al

Al wrote in news:bgkQg.198$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.lga:

That IS the adjuster within the drum, which he did back off.

The OP is warned NOT to back off the cable adjustment inside the car in an attempt to fix this.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Eric wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.now:

I've always found that installation of the return spring is enough to press the pistons all the way in.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

You have never come across a car (especially a 14 year old one) where someone has tightened the parking brake cable in order to get to three clicks - maybe because the self adjusters weren't working? If you don't loosen it back up those drums are not going on.

Reply to
Al

When I've had bad self-adjusters the pedal play was bad enough that I never even gave the parking brake a thought.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Al wrote in news:48mQg.211$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.lga:

Eh, good point. I forgot the loose-nut-behind-the-wheel factor.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 19:36:38 -0400, Al wrote: I had the same problem on a Mazda 626 and ended up using a belt sander to remove lining from the shoes. Good luck

Reply to
Jay Fowler