US Supreme Court rejects challenges to increased ethanol use

This E15 decision is great news for Archer Daniels Midland.

Reply to
cameo

That's being quite generous compared to most CEO's mandatory retirement age. Frankly, I would extend it to Congress as well.

Reply to
cameo

ok, two things:

  1. how is pricing set? spot at delivery? pre-agreed with no subsequent market adjust? any hedging? if you're contracted at one price, and they can re-sell at something higher, that's often what they'll do as long as basic requirements are met.*
  2. just because they're a processor doesn't mean they don't trade. hersheys are big cocoa consumers, but they're also huge cocoa traders, selling as well as buying and gaming the markets. the bigger the player, the more pricing influence they have.
  • here in kalifornistan when we had the enron traders manipulating our electricity markets [with complete impunity], aluminum smelters shut down because it was more profitable to re-sell their electricity to this fine state than it was to stay in production.
Reply to
jim beam

you're not selling it to the retail consumer - anyone else is some kind of middle-person.

Reply to
jim beam

any congress-critter shouldn't have to worry about retirement age - they should all be strictly term limited. one term. same for the senate.

Reply to
jim beam

no kidding. adm and cargill [one of the biggest scariest companies you've never heard of] completely dominate - you'd think that with their enormous buying power, companies like kelloggs and [former] hostess would have some kind of say in the grain markets, but the reality is that they have to kiss adm's/cargill's rear end. and make out they like it.

ethanol, that ridiculous political frankenstein, is grain market manipulation on steroids, all with taxpayer subsidy and lobbying corruption thrown in. the supremes kiss a$$ when it comes to business interests. and that's just a sorry fact.

and more famously:

Reply to
jim beam

Hedging is always a good thing to do because it protects the grower and I can tell you that in "lean years" it has saved our butt. Usually there is a trigger price but, if the market goes up then you get that price. I know all about Enron--lost $200,000.00 to those guys. If Skilling gets out I hope somebody finds him with some high velocity lead.

Reply to
Pawalleye

We have a whole bunch of value added ag business in ND so it can go to the folks who sell it to the retailers. These companies produce the product and then it goes to retail outlets.

Reply to
Pawalleye

I'd have no problem extending it to Congress, but at least they stand for reelection so in theory the people have a say.

I would certainly extend it to SCOTUS - 20 years or age 72 whichever comes first.

They get nutty after a while even if it's not exactly senility.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

ok, good. guessing you didn't get screwed by that asshole corzine - many farmers hedged with m.f. global and got thoroughly corn-holed.

it's not "if" - he's just had his sentence reduced:

justice would be better served by finding out who his friends are. skilling was no great architect - but the lawyers and accountants that devised the plans he followed sure were. and they're still walking about scott free.

Reply to
jim beam

sure, but like i said, many also trade on the commodity markets. they pretty much have to.

Reply to
jim beam