Used Accord Q's

Hi, I'm looking for a used Accord sedan as a first car for my son. Have driven 2 so far - 2000 SE with auto for $7500, 1999 LX with 5-speed for $6,995 - both around 100k miles and in excellent mechanical shape - all records of service, timing belts done, etc.

I'm wondering about weak spots on the Accord...? How are the various transmissions? Are the electrical systems reliable? CU rates these cars incredibly highly, and of course Honda has a great rep for reliability. But I'd also like some real-world opinions.

Thx,

Dan D Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

najibraich

The transmission on the 6 cyl is what I ehar is the culprit. My parents have a 99 EX 6cyl and have had no issues. Thats not a bad deal on the SE. My sis-in-law just sold her 00 SE with 64,000 miles for $9400. The SE has the larger/stronger 4 cyl and has EX type interior appointments. I'd be buying that one first, assuming everything else about appearance and care is equal. Ask about timing belt changes as it is due for both cars if it hasn't already been done.

Reply to
Larry

It's the v6.

Andrew

More specifically, second gear cooling of the Auto Tranny. It only manifests itself with certain types of driving. There is a kit that re-directs cooling oil. My '98 Accord EX, 6cyl. is running great at 65,000.

Al G

Reply to
Al G

My son bought a Honda Certified Accord, 98 4 cylinder automatic. At

104,000 miles the second gear came apart, and the repair cost $2,500.00 . Honda did NOTHING for him. Believe me he tried. bob
Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

I have a 2000 SE that I bought new. It has been an excellent car and I highly recommend it. I haven't had any trouble to speak of in almost 85,000 miles.

What color is the one you're looking at? Mine is red and was built in Japan. As far as I've been able to discover, all the red ones are from Japan and all the gold and dark green ones are from Ohio.

Paul

Reply to
Newsgroups

It was gold, actually.