Used Honda S2000 or new Mazda Miata?

Boy had his Integra GSR for a while and wanted to get another car but couldn't decide on a used 2003 S2000 or a new 2008 Miata. The S2000 only has
about 30K miles, is in great condition, cheaper to buy but no warranty, transmission maybe problematic for that year and higher ownership cost. The Miata is fun to drive and cheaper to insure and maintain but needs more power. So how would you decide?
Frank wrote:

Probably the S2000. Cheaper in the long run. Both fun cars.
Frank wrote:

For more power in the Miata, check this out: http://www.monstermiata.com /
That is almost as cool as the LS1 Mazda RX7!
But in all seriousness, I would choose the S2000 over the Miata based on my excellent track record with Honda Cars.
snipped-for-privacy@nothome.net says...

I'd pick the S2000, but if maintenance costs are an issue, I believe the S2000 uses relatively soft-compound tires with a correspondingly high wear rate. They're expensive to replace as well, and the rears are differently-sized than the fronts, so you can't extend their lifecycle via normal rotation. The independent shop I frequent claimed that having to replace the rears every 10,000 miles (or less) was not uncommon.
Dave
Dave Garrett wrote:

Unfortunately, this is true with just about ANY sports/performance car. I purchased my 2006 Mustang GT used after my 2007 Accord was totaled, and the prior owner's second set of tires were already on the way out at 28,000 miles. Here I sit at 31,000 miles and I am adding set number 3 to the car. Don't even think for a second that those softer compound tires are cheap nor should you think that you can just walk into any tire store and pick a set of four up.
I'll give you two guesses as to why I drive my 1997 Honda Civic WAY more than my 2006 Mustang GT.

Why not consider a Civic SI/

Because his little brother has one. BTW the SI not that good on gas - averaged about 18mpg, mostly in San Francisco but some freeway too. The GSR averaged 32mpg even at more than 100K miles on the odometer, mostly freeway with some city - stock engine!