Used Pilot?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy a used (but not older) Pilot. Mileage isn't a concern as I only drive ~10 miles per year. Per Consumer Reports, it appears 2006 is
much better that 2005. Anyone agree? Thanks
LT wrote:

If you only drive 10 miles per year, rent a pilot from Enterprise or Hertz for that.
jeff

He'd be better off taking a taxi or a limo.
Brian Smith wrote:

Or a bicycle, bus or train.
Jeff
Sorry, dropped the "k". I drive approx 10K miles per year. Regardless, 06 or 05? Thanks LT

the Pilot is just an Odyssey with a SUV-like body need AWD? buy a Sienna AWD

The Pilot may be built on the Odyssey frame, but the drive train is out of the Acura MDX. Much heavier duty, and the vehicle rides considerably higher and differently.
It *IS NOT* an Odyssey.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

It's much more an Odyssey than it isn't. The drivetrain is virtually identical save for the awd portion.

Thanks for nothing guys......
Larry in AZ wrote:

co-worker's Odessey took a rear-end collision that totalled it, I looked into structure of both. (I Previously was a Journeyman body and Fenderman, so even minor changes are apparent) I wouldn't begin to think they are the same vehicle... Perhaps a portion of the drivetrain is similar, but the body structure is definitely different. As indicated above, a Pilot *IS NOT* an Odyssey. I wouln't put them in even similar classes. If you're looking for similarities, the Pilot and the Ridgeline are obvious brothers...
I have an '05 that has been flawless.
G-Man

How so? What do they say?
I have 05 Pilot 5,700 miles on it. The one thing I dont care for is the road noise seems a bit high.
Ray
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:

---------------------------
Ray, it's probably tire noise. http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t '265&highlight=noise+tires+original
Follow the links in the thread.
'Curly'

The stock tires and wheels on the 05 are junk. Mine lose air regularly.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

Hmm I havent had that issue mine seems to be doing real well. Im in Northern IL where temp change usually necessitates doing so but so far so good. Been 2 winters now and aired up one front and one rear, once each. I have Bridgestone Dueler H/T Being in AZ you have different?
Ray
Larry in AZ wrote:

stock tires are junk, just as are the tires of just about any typical vehicle coming out of the major manufacturers. Unless you are buying a serious "sports/performance" vehicle like Corvette, Camaro, Mustang GT, etc., you will always get junk tires from the factory.
Our 2005 pilot has a bit over 60,000 miles on it and the tires are already suffering from hydroplaning problems... OK, so one shouldn't expect stock tires to make 90K miles without issues, but they clearly could for only a relatively few dollars more.... Even the (non stock) tires on my Toyota Tacoma 4wd put out over 90K miles before I couldn't stand the noise (but they still had decent tread and weren't hydroplaning). With the stock Pilot tires, I couldn't belive the way they didn't handle when I recently drove the vehicle in a recent rainstorm. My wife put over 60K miles on the vehicle in less than two years and never complained, but I was all over the lane during a rainstorm the first time I drove it recently. Looking at the tread, there's still reasonable depth there, but the pattern is just not conducive to shedding the rain, so (f course) it's like driving on wet ice when it rains here. (It's not unusual to see a couple of inches in an hour when it rains here, and , as we have no freeways, the roadways aren't exactly designed for high speed use or water runoff). I'm just about ready to put a good set of Michelins on it (which cured every problem I had with the Toyota).
--rick
On 2/19/08 12:02 AM, in article 47ba70bd$0$16692$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com,

?> conducive to shedding the rain, so (f course) it's like driving on wet

You actually expect 90k miles on a set of tires? Wow! I routinely get 60k before the tread is down to the wear bars, but I've never seen a tire deliver more than 60k regardless of car make/model or of price or alleged quality of the tires.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:47:52 +0000, E Meyer wrote:

90K is pushing it a little, but I have routinely gotten 75-80K out of all my vehicles' tires. Mostly Michelin, with some Goodyear too.
These are not the cheapest Michelins or Goodyears, and I take good care to monitor inflation pressures and do regular rotations. Perhaps that is the difference...

On 2/19/08 9:08 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@moria.lan,

I don't think that is the difference. I'm pretty anal retentive about inflation pressures, rotations and alignment. Maybe its just the crappy Texas roads. I have tried both Michelin and Goodyear with similar results.
My only complaint about Michelin is that when I have needed warranty consideration for a defective tire, they absolutely do not honor the warranty, which effectively increases the cost even more over the premium they already charge for their tires. Cost of ownership wise, I think practically any other comparable tire ends up being cheaper.
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:18:24 +0000, E Meyer wrote:

Well, maybe it is the roads, I dunno. Driving habits may affect things some too, of course. I'm not overly abusive with heavy braking and so on, although I don't think I really "baby" the tires, either.

I think the somewhat premium prices for the Michelins are worth it. I have pretty much gone over to using them exclusively. In 30 years of driving, I have never once needed to use a warranty on any tire, regardless of brand. <shrug>