Valve adjustment service question

As a result of my previous post related to the 60,000 mile service program, most of my questions were answered--thanks for the help.

I still have one question that has not be resolved.

My owner's manual has a chart that indicates: Adjust valves at 105,000 miles. Adjust valves prior to 105,000 miles only if they are noisy.

My Chilton's repair manual indicates that the valves should be adjusted

15,000 miles 30,000 " 45,000 " 60,000 " etc

Which is correct?

Reply to
Jason

Do you really need us to tell you the answer to this. If this was a question on "Who want's to be a millionaire?" and the question was for $1 million dollars.....what answer would you choose....

Reply to
halo2 guy

At one time, Honda designed their engines to require valve adjustments every 30K miles.

Not much has changed on the 4 cylinder front, other than they'd like to compete in the marketplace with other manufacturers that claim "no maintenance" engines.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Do I really want an answer? YES--otherwise I would not have asked the question. If I had to guess--it would be I would have the valves adjusted--did I guess right? If so--please send me my one million dollars.

Reply to
Jason

Elmo, Thanks for the information. I will have the valves adjusted based on your post. Does a 1999 Accord have self-adjusting valves? If so, why did Honda once require valve adjustments every 30 thousand miles?

Reply to
Jason

The answer is........read your your damn manual and follow it.

Reply to
halo2 guy
105k only if they are noisy. I have 130k on my 2001 and they are quiet, so I leave well enough alone.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Always go with the manufacturer of the car.

Chilton's prints generic info for a lot of cars sprinkled with occasional tidbits of model specific information. They do not provide guaranteed official Honda maintenance requirements.

It has been about a decade since Honda specified valve adjustments at that frequency.

Reply to
E. Meyer

----------------------------

Um, > Adjust valves at 105,000 miles. Adjust valves prior to 105,000 miles only

Honda now KNOWS they goofed (lied?) when they printed the same line of B.S. in the first Generation CR-V manual. Apparently the UK version of the early CR-V manual is correct, and says 30,000 miles (50,000 Km, actually).

Many thousands of Gen I CR-V owners have had to fork out big $$$ to fix burnt valves / heads just because Honda has been slow to acknowledge their mistake. That particular twin cam engine tends to 'tighten' the valve adjustment as it ages, so they get quieter, never louder.

NOTE TO EARLY CR-V OWNERS . . ADJUST YOUR VALVES every 30,000 miles.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

I recently checked adjustment on a '99 CRV's valves at 38K miles. They didn't need it. I'm not refuting your advice, merely adding my experience.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Curly, Does this apply only to the owners of CR-V vehicles or all Honda vehicles? I own a 1999 Accord EX (4 cyld). What does the Honda Inc. now say about how often the valves in my Accord should be adjusted? Jason

Reply to
Jason

this is the low down on accords anyway. 98-99's is at every 30k, 00-02's

Reply to
Lex

Hello, I have a 1999 Accord (4 cyld.). It has about 60,000 miles on it and the valves have been adjusted at least once before. The timing belt has NEVER been changed and the water pump has NEVER been replaced. If possible, I would like to revisit the Honda website and tell me and others that 1998 and 1999 Honda Accord (4 cyld) automobiles.

How often should the valves be adjusted (mileage)?

How often should the timing belt and water pump replaced (mileage)?

Does my Honda Accord have self-adjusting valves?

Reply to
Jason