Valve cover bolt busted off. Need advice

First thanks for help with timing, I was indeed 1 tooth off on the cam.

Now, while tighting the long valve cover bolt on the upper Right corner..the damn thing broke off. I wasn?t even at 9foot pounds. Anyway, the lower part of the bolt(the part with the threads) is stuck inside the threaded part of case. Questions: 1) how can I get it out?

2) could I just RTV the bolt with cap on to the valve cover? Would the remainder 4 bolts keep her from leaking? Thanks in advance. What trouble..second time taking her apart to repalce timing belt,water pump and tensioner.. get everything right, then this happens.
Reply to
Qjonny

I would drill a hole into the centre of the broken piece of the bolt, and use an extractor to remove the piece. Use some oil to help free the piece.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Hello, I agree with what Brian told you. If you end up needing a new valve cover--visit the largest junk yard in your area. Most of the larger junk yards are now on a special database which simply means that all of them are linked together. If they don't have a valve cover for your vehicle--they can order one from one of the other junk yards.

Reply to
Jason

This happened on TWO of the valve cover bolts on my 98 civic. Really annoying.

First of all, take the valve cover off and see if there is any part of the stud showing that you might be able to grab onto with a plyer or something.

Short of getting lucky that way, MAKE SURE you put rags or some sort of cover over the valve train to make sure no filings make it into your valves and oil.

We got an 'Easy-Out' from the hardware store. You put this bit into your cordless drill, and apply as much pressure in reverse as possible at a 90 degree angle to the broken stud of the bolt. Eventually, the bit grabs the stud, and it backs out. It took about 2 minutes of constant pressure and spinning to get one of them out.

Any questions, feel free to email me directly

loewent at gmail dot com

Reply to
disallow

PS, by the way, YES, as a temporary measure, you can RTV the hole in the valve cover, and the rest should hold it in place well enough to keep it from leaking.

Reply to
disallow

As others have mentioned lubrication along with drilling and using an easy out works well if you have the room. One of the best oils I have found for seized parts is call "Kroil". I would highly recommend it.

Reply to
L Alpert

How tight was it going in. Was it crossthreaded? If so you may have to drill it and install a Helicoil...

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Woody

"Qjonny" wrote: > First thanks for help with timing, I was indeed 1 tooth off on > the cam. > > Now, while tighting the long valve cover bolt on the upper > Right corner..the damn thing broke off. I wasn't even at 9foot > pounds. Anyway, the lower part of the bolt(the part with the > threads) is stuck inside the threaded part of case. Questions: > 1) how can I get it out? 2) could I just RTV the bolt with cap > on to the valve cover? Would the remainder 4 bolts keep her > from leaking? Thanks in advance. What trouble..second time > taking her apart to repalce timing belt,water pump and > tensioner.. get everything right, then this happens.

Thanks for the advice. I got it out yesterday with a screw extractor. First I sprayed it with penatrating oil and let it sit over night.

Reply to
Qjonny

I'm glad that you finally got it out. I bet that you worried about it quite a lot. Now--you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Reply to
Jason

Good deal! Glad to be of help.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

For the future reference, how much did it fight you?

And, congratulations!!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It must not of been in that tight.

1)First I sprayed it with penatrating oil..let sit over night.

2) Next day, I slightly tapped it a few times with a sharp nail driver/punch. This was to make a dimple in the center of the busted off bolt. A guy at the hardware store said this would keep the bit from "walking" to the sides and messing up the threads.

3) I drilled it down about this deep __ with a 5/64" drill bit. I then attached the #1 screw extractor to a small T handled tap wrench. Started twisting it slowly counterclockwise. It came out very easily.

One note: I covered the area the best I could to keep out small metal shavings, that was the hardest part. It was windy out and a real pain in the ass.

Again thanks everyone! Time to ride

Reply to
Qjonny

For future reference, you can use a blob of grease (or shaving cream, depending on which will cause less trouble where you are working) to control the shavings. Put the blob on the area and drill through it. Our asbestos abatement guys even use shaving cream for drilling asbestos-contailing floor tiles!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, That appears to be good advice. I only wish that I had known that secret when I once done backyard mechanical work on various types of cars. Jason

Reply to
Jason