Valve cover bolt busted off. Need advice

First thanks for help with timing, I was indeed 1 tooth off on the cam.
Now, while tighting the long valve cover bolt on the upper Right corner..the damn thing broke off. I wasn’t even at 9foot pounds.
Anyway, the lower part of the bolt(the part with the threads) is stuck inside the threaded part of case. Questions: 1) how can I get it out? 2) could I just RTV the bolt with cap on to the valve cover? Would the remainder 4 bolts keep her from leaking? Thanks in advance. What trouble..second time taking her apart to repalce timing belt,water pump and tensioner.. get everything right, then this happens.
✖

I would drill a hole into the centre of the broken piece of the bolt, and use an extractor to remove the piece. Use some oil to help free the piece.
Brian
Add pictures here
✖

Hello, I agree with what Brian told you. If you end up needing a new valve cover--visit the largest junk yard in your area. Most of the larger junk yards are now on a special database which simply means that all of them are linked together. If they don't have a valve cover for your vehicle--they can order one from one of the other junk yards.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
✖
Qjonny wrote:

As others have mentioned lubrication along with drilling and using an easy out works well if you have the room. One of the best oils I have found for seized parts is call "Kroil". I would highly recommend it.
Add pictures here
✖
How tight was it going in. Was it crossthreaded? If so you may have to drill it and install a Helicoil...

http://www.autoforumz.com/Honda-Valve-cover-bolt-busted-advice-ftopict112533.html
Add pictures here
✖
"Qjonny" wrote: > First thanks for help with timing, I was indeed 1 tooth off on > the cam. > > Now, while tighting the long valve cover bolt on the upper > Right corner..the damn thing broke off. I wasn't even at 9foot > pounds. Anyway, the lower part of the bolt(the part with the > threads) is stuck inside the threaded part of case. Questions: > 1) how can I get it out? 2) could I just RTV the bolt with cap > on to the valve cover? Would the remainder 4 bolts keep her > from leaking? Thanks in advance. What trouble..second time > taking her apart to repalce timing belt,water pump and > tensioner.. get everything right, then this happens.
Thanks for the advice. I got it out yesterday with a screw extractor. First I sprayed it with penatrating oil and let it sit over night.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm glad that you finally got it out. I bet that you worried about it quite a lot. Now--you don't have to worry about it anymore.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
✖

Good deal! Glad to be of help.
Brian
Add pictures here
✖
"Brian Smith" wrote:
> [...]
It must not of been in that tight.
1)First I sprayed it with penatrating oil..let sit over night.
2) Next day, I slightly tapped it a few times with a sharp nail driver/punch. This was to make a dimple in the center of the busted off bolt. A guy at the hardware store said this would keep the bit from "walking" to the sides and messing up the threads.
3) I drilled it down about this deep __ with a 5/64" drill bit. I then attached the #1 screw extractor to a small T handled tap wrench. Started twisting it slowly counterclockwise. It came out very easily.
One note: I covered the area the best I could to keep out small metal shavings, that was the hardest part. It was windy out and a real pain in the ass.
Again thanks everyone! Time to ride
✖

For future reference, you can use a blob of grease (or shaving cream, depending on which will cause less trouble where you are working) to control the shavings. Put the blob on the area and drill through it. Our asbestos abatement guys even use shaving cream for drilling asbestos-contailing floor tiles!
Mike
Add pictures here
✖

Mike, That appears to be good advice. I only wish that I had known that secret when I once done backyard mechanical work on various types of cars. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
✖

For the future reference, how much did it fight you?
And, congratulations!!
Mike
Add pictures here
✖