VSS(vehicule speed sensor)

Hi all!
Is there a way to test a VSS? Could be either in hands or still on the tranny casing. In my Honda bible it says to remove the connector,look for the yellow/
white wire, and use it as positive...now if i do it that way it will never test the VSS itself.I did it the way it says and i get a response(meaning good)but it's not the VSS!
Anyone know if it could be tested?
Thanks!
Typically the VSS puts out a pulse as it turns. You can test for this with a multimeter.
-SP