Weird Corrosion in the float bowl

Hello all, A few months ago I reconditioned my 1986 Honda accord carburator. The original problem was caused by lots of white fluffy material floating around in the float bowl. I cleaned it very well, blew out the passages, replaced fuel filters, added a new clear filter two inches prior to the carburator inlet. Put it back in the car and with the help of you guys adjusted it to run again.

Well it broke again, the exact same problem, white fluffy stuff floating around the float bowl clogging up the jets. The new clear filter is still clear as it was on day one. This time I looked more carefully into the float bowl.I let all the gasoline evaporate over night. It looks to me like the zinc float bowl is corroiding on the inside. My first guess was electrolysis from stray currents. I checked the idle cutoff solinoid for current leaks, and the electric choke for current leaks. Each one showed very high resistance to ground 40,000 ohms or more. So what is causing the rapid corrosion of the float bowl? The gasoline is not old, but we do use 10 percent alcohol in the gasoline. Has anyone every come across this proble and found a solution???

TIA

Bill

Reply to
geek

without seeing it, it's hard to say. does it dry to something hard and flaky/powdery? if so, it does indeed sound like corrosion. not sure what to suggest since fuel definitely shouldn't be causing this. you could try plating the insides with copper [from copper sulfate solution], but i doubt that would give a sufficiently coherent protection to prevent it. whatever you do, drain the tank and discard that fuel. refill with fresh fuel throughout.

Reply to
jim beam

It dried to a white flaky power stuff, which comes off easily. When removed, the under lying metal is discolored. I will drain all the gas, clean the carb, and reinstall when it gets a bit warmer in the North East.

Reply to
wpapps