what do you say?

Just wondering what is the best thing to say when you shop for a new car and the salesman asks when you want to buy it? I think in the past I've said I don't know but is there something better to say from the buyer's point of view? I know I always hate that question even if there is some validity.

Reply to
Observer

"Observer" wrote

Think from your gut. I test drove a 2013 Accord EX a couple of weeks ago, and I had already told the salesman I'm not ready to buy; I'm doing research on the car to make sure it's what I want. Maybe I'll be ready next spring. At the end of our adventure together he went to get the sales manager. While it is probably a customary procedure, the manager asked me the magic question, "What will it take...." I replied, "I already told HIM (pointing to the salesman)." Then I said, "Look, if I buy the car now, you won't get a sale next spring, so what's the difference?" That shut him up. I wasn't nasty; I remained cordial.

Reply to
Howard Lester

I dunno, is this a trick question? I just tell them. If you're just looking, just make sure you drop a few hints that you *could* buy if you wanted, when you're ready, and in general you get a nice presentation, test drive, and they ask for your phone number, etc.

If you even might want to buy on the spot, just have some numbers in mind before you come in. I normally start a real buying project by going to the vendor site or a neutral site like Edmonds, and getting local dealers to submit bids. Unfortunately this time it did not work for me, so YMMV. Had to go out and dicker like in olden days.

I went and got a nice test drive on the BMW, but told them I was waiting to test drive the Honda 2013. I *liked* the BMW, if it was $15,000 cheaper I'd go for it - since the lease includes 100% of service, that's the ONLY way I'd touch a BMW. I test drove the 2013 before I went home and solicited bids, it was not a problem.

The whole retail sales process is a little challenging, it's a game with rules, and sometimes it can get on your nerves, and the sellers are professionals and know a lot of tricks. But in general the retail environment is very ingratiating these days, it seems to me, it's easier to just wander in and chat today than twenty years ago, when it was more buy-or-get-out. That's because in olden days the guys on the floor were the real salespersons, today the first guy you speak to, that's his/her whole job, they have to involve sales guys and closers and finance and credit and orthodontists and gynecologists, before you actually get the car.

But Honda has it pretty well greased, it seems to me. Could still be better, but it's not horrible, though it will vary by dealer and even by salesperson.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Say this;

"When the second last line (the line directly above the bottom line) on the sales contract says '50% OFF', and the bottom line (full amount to be paid) is HALF the factory sticker price"

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Salesman is asking for the sale.

A non-committal answer works best. eventually comes to mind, when I'm ready, when I find what I'm looking for at a good/best price.

Reply to
NotMe

No he isn't!... he using a pressure tactic... so you press back with the message, 'I don't appreciate this. You will LOSE if you keep it up, and somebody else will get my hard earned money'.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Lets see I've been selling since the mid 50s ... checking checking checking yep he's going for the sale.

Reply to
NotMe

Tell them that your not ready to make a decision, but you are investigating comparable models from other manufacturers such as Toyota, Hyundai, etc. and that you will be comparing overall design, price, standard warranty and consumers report ratings. Then give them a small hint that they might be able to convince you to but the car today (for the right package).

Reply to
Stewart

"NO SALE"

-- "these boots are made for walking, and that's just what they'll do" Nancy Sinatra

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

stop being a baby.

buying a car is easy. go test drive the vehicles you think you're interested in. keep talk to a minimum. then walk away. when you get home, make a list of all the features, color, options you want. then call all the dealers in a 2-hour radius, give them your requirements list, and this is the important bit - tell them you're ready to buy, but YOU'RE SHOPPING ON PRICE.

the ones that call you back, get that price, say thanks and that you're waiting for another dealer to call you back. when you get those numbers, call the higher prices ones again and ask whether they will beat the lowest one, and keep on going until you reach bottom.

when you get that bottom, drive out there immediately and buy the vehicle. the price will change tomorrow.

and also, be prepared to walk away from "bait and switch" - where they say there was a "mistake" on the price they quoted you on the phone once you arrive. stick to your guns, and again, be prepared to walk away. having the sales droid chase you across the parking lot saying they'll make your price is amusing if nothing else.

depending on where you live, be prepared to shop out of town. here in the san francisco bay area, honda prices are extraordinarily uniform and either at or over msrp. and that extends about 1 hour out of town. but

2 hours out, prices are much more flexible and competitive. other locations such as los angeles tend to be more competitive without leaving town.

Reply to
jim beam

I'm a baby?? But I know my ABC's, and the ABC's in the context of this subject is... (a)lways (b)e (c)losing. If they are so anxious to 'close'... it's simple for them... the bottom line of the sales contract is going to be below a healthy discount and middle lines that end with N/C.

That babe Nancy Sinatra knew how to walk.

when you get

That babe Nancy Sinatra knew how to walk.

- where they

That babe Nancy Sinatra knew how to walk.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Color me cynical, but EVERY conversation is a sales pitch. Either he's pitching you on why you should buy, or your pitching him on why you shouldn't buy.

He's a pro, you're not.

End of story.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

actually, i think he wants to be a victim in this story - he's clearly not interested in being able to handle a sales negotiation without being one.

Reply to
jim beam

that's retarded. think about it. there's no earthly reason why anyone would sell you something with that discount when all they have to do is wait until someone else comes along who will pay sticker. or more. you wouldn't sell your house to someone offering 50% below market. use your brain and do what i said to figure out what "market" is. then you have a price you can pay without playing the "look at me, i'm a victim" game.

Reply to
jim beam