What Honda Needs to Do To Keep A Strong Position in the US Market

Page 2 of 2

RSX is ugly,it looks like an over-inflated Integra,jacked up six inches. Its front end is garish.
Most of "Detroit"s products are overweight and underpowered,and low-tech to boot.And I would not trust their quality or reliability.
Honda needs to bring back the Prelude.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

We agree on that -- but it would probably not look like a Prelude if they did.
Jim Yanik wrote:

well said that man!!!
similar has been said in the financial press - the day honda abandoned front wishbone suspension in the reasonably priced civic was the day subaru got handed the tuner market on a plate. bring back wishbones! bring back the prelude & crx!!!

On the other hand, Toyota market share soars despite primitive suspensions and handling.
Art wrote:

hey, suspension is not the /only/ decision maker for the guy in the street. that's why the above comment is relative to "the tuner market", where it /is/ a factor.

They would lose me as a customer since I wouldn't buy a small/sporty car with an AT.

Don't care much what they look like. Agree Ridgeline is butt ugly but I think the whole concept is stupid.

I suspect that part of the reason Honda sales were down in December was because they sold out of '05s earlier than in '04.

Gordon McGrew wrote:

Obviously I am not advocating getting rid of the manual tranmission offereings, but for the majority of customers who buy automatic transmissions the darn things should work!

Appealing styling is very important to the majority of car buyers, so even if it doesn't matter to you it does matter to the success of the company.

I don't believe that at all. By December most of the '05s of all brands were long gone. I spent several weeks helping a friend car shop and there were very few '05s of any sort on any dealer lot for any brand. She did end up choosing an '06 Accord, which was in plentiful supply.
The excuse does not hold water.
I've driven Honda's since my first Civic back in the early '80s, and I still love the product, but Hyundai is going to give the Japanese manufacturers some serious competition in the future. One thing that is most impressive on all of the new Hyundai's is their fit and finish, and apparent build-quality. On the surface, and after some significant scrutiny, it appears every bit as good as a Honda or Toyota. Now, mechanically . . . I don't know, as I've never owned one before.
I'm old enough (59) to remember the yearly progression of quality and market penetration of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et. al., and I can't help but think Hyundai is mirroring the past Japanese experience. Sort of "deja vu all over again." Only time will tell . . .
And wait until the Chinese catch up.......

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Remember when Hyundai first entered the US market with the Excel? IIRC, its biggest selling point, which got a lot of publicity, was a much lower price for a brand-new car compared to what any other manufacturer was offering, and they sold quite a few cars to people who'd otherwise been considering used cars. I was in the market for a low-priced car at the time, and I have to admit that Hyundai briefly got my attention, but I ultimately opted for a used 1st-gen Prelude instead.
Dave

A guy where I work bought one back then. He was well paid but cheap. He had a loan on it and he said that he started getting calls from the bank every month asking if he was going to make his loan payment. Apparently, Hyundai buyers of that era turned out to be high credit risks.
He drove the car for a long, long time (like I said, he was cheap) and claimed it was very reliable. It did look a little like Swiss cheese by the time he dumped it.
Yes, and many people - and the marketplace in general - still equate Hyundai with the Excel. A poor first product offering is hard to overcome. But, their new products are light years aways from that product, just as today's Civic is light years in difference from the original Civic CVCC.
w9cw wrote:

Actually, Hyundai's first North American small car was the Pony. The Excel was the Pony's successor.
Yes, and many people - and the marketplace in general - still equate Hyundai with the Excel. A poor first product offering is hard to overcome. But, their new products are light years aways from that product, just as today's Civic is light years in difference from the original Civic CVCC.
We have a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe for a security vehicle in our large restricted development that I drive every night. The fit and finish is definitely not up to Toyota or Honda quality. It is probably half way between them and the American cars. The body creaks bad on dirt roads, the steering system has something definitely wrong with it and lights are out everywhere including the shift panel. Engine rapping is noticeable when it is cold. 26,000 miles. Our development bought it because of the 100,000 mile warranty.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I agree with you, Hyundai is the competitor to watch right now.
It seems to me that the secondary Japanese brands, which in the US market means everyone except Toyota and Honda, are in for an especially hard bruising as Toyota, Honda and Hyundai battle it out.
Fifty years ago the same thing happened when GM and Ford really went to battle. All of the other US makers took it in the shorts and only Chrysler sort of surived that battle.
John