What is the name of this tool?

I need a tool and can't remember the name of it. Appreciate any help you can give me.
It's similar to a torque wrench, in that it uses sockets and you can
set the inch/ft pounds on it. BUT when that amount of torque is reached the ratchet part of the unit slips and continues to do so, until you stop twisting, then start again. As soon as the proper torque is reached, the unit agaislips. In other words you cannot over torque it.
All the torque wrenches I've seen makes one click and the head bends slightly when the set scale is reached. If you continue to twist the torque wrench it continues to twist the bolt beyond the set torque.
I thought it might be called a torque limiting wrench, but when I searched that name there were only a few hits and the item did not look like the correct tool. I know there must be lots of the type wrench I'm looking for out there someplace.
Thanks
PS Last one of these I owned had a ball on a rod that ran up into the handle. You pulled it out and rotated it to set the torque.
wouldnt be this would it?
http://www.srtorque.com/tabeam.html

No. The one I'm looking for looks just like the rachet torque wrench with the settings engraved on the handle. The difference is it will not continue tightening once it reaches its torque setting.
Thanks anyway.
Ray
wrote:

(snipped)

It must still be called a torque wrench. The click-stop and bending beam types are both just referred to as torque wrenches, so maybe this one too? It must be a proprietary design, though.
Mike
Ray wrote:

I believe what you want is called a "brekaway torque wrench" http://www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_torque_wrenches_critical /

I think what you describe is a "torque stick" like http://store.autotoolexpress.com/ameext50.html
Mike

maybe, but torque sticks only work in impact wrenches.

They are commonly used on impact wrenches, but can be used on any driver. As you point out, though, they are not a driver themselves. I don't recall hearing of anything that is a torque stick function in a driver.
Mike
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:59:06 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

Ah, what i had was a long wrench, with a push-through socket head, and a bar you ulled out and adjusted for the torque, and pushed back in. the bar was about 2ft long, and when it got to the torque, it gave, and wouldn't drive any more.
Father got it during his apprenticing at Lucas on the concord fuel pumps in the 60's

This sounds like what I'm looking for. Guess I need to buy a Concorde and hope it comes with a tool kit..........huh? ((:>))
Ray
wrote:

(snipped)
Not a torque stick. Thanks anyway.
Ray
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 14:23:18 -0400, "Steve Bigelow"

That sure sounds like a Torque Wrench to me. Course, i'm a brit. Damn Yanks always calling things the wrong names to be difficult...

If I had one, I might keep it in the trunk because my foot is in the boot. We are indeed separated by a common language! But I live in Arizona, where even the engineers speak cowboy: "Kinnec up thet thar lat bub wit bob war." Funny thing is the durn Brits can't understand us. Mebbe they's jes not tryin'.
But at least our plywood isn't 4 ft X 8 ft by 19mm. ;-)
Mike
On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:09:01 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

I can. I spent some time out in california and nevada a few years back, before moving to Georgia. If you ever get a chance to see the BotBash trailer arena, thats one of my old semi-trialer designs, adapted for a US semi trailer.

yeah, the problems of switching between imperial and metric. still takes me a few minutes when switching sockets from one to the other. some of my stuff is also mm in one dimention, and inches in another - gotta love cross-unit dimentioning.

K'Tetch:
Actually, the last one I owned was included in an acrylic injection system I purchased from England and it was listed as a torque wrench. That's why I'm so confused looking for it here.
Do you have a website to a good handtool seller in England? If I can find it there, I'll buy it. Might as well send a little green to our cousins.
Thanks
Ray

Sorry no, I always did my tool buying at autojumbles and car shows (me and a friend used to take his 74 Jago kit-car, done to look like a ww2 willies jeep, and we'd buy from the dealers and reps at them. Hated buying online, i avoid where possible, never a stronger case of caviet emptor

OK.Here it is! It is a British tool. Finally got in touch with the person who got it from me. Its a Britool AZT100A. I checked out the website, but it was down for servicing. Sent out an email and hope to hear from them soon. Not sure, though. Just figured out I purchased it in 1986. Time flies when you're surfing. ((:>))
Thanks to all for all your replies. Still can't figure out why we don't have that type tool here.
Ray.
wrote:

(snipped)