What parts do I need to change theTiming Belt on my '98 (4 cyl) Odyssey?

The car only has 75K on it but it is eight years old. I am going to have my mechanic do it but he suggested that I get the parts and ask the parts counter what they recommend changing. He wasn't sure if the
idler pulley should be changed, for example. I have never heard of people doing that on Hondas. I was thinking that I need the following:
Timing Belt Balance Shaft Belt Water Pump Coolant
Any thoughts?

That sounds good to me. The idler(s) may need to be changed, but it is much more a mileage issue than a year issue and I'd expect it to be in decent shape after 75K miles. By the next timing belt change the idlers (yours has one for the timing belt and one for the balance, IIRC) will probably sound like cheap roller skate wheels and will need to be changed so they don't seize and burn through the belt from the back. They are expensive enough that you don't want to buy them if you don't have to.
Some recommend changing the crank and cam front seals, since they are right there. At 75K miles that seems like overkill. But definitely do the water pump, because if it seizes it will destroy the timing belt and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth... yours.
Replacing the thermostat with an OEM thermostat is a good thing while changing the coolant. But even an old OEM like the one you have now is better than a new aftermarket 'stat.
A couple good resources are http://tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html and http://tegger.com/hondafaq/engines.html#beltmark
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote in

Yes to all the above. Use Honda coolant.
Replace the idler pulleys every second belt change. If leaving the exisint one, confirm its condition by wiggling and spinning it.
While you're in there, check the crank and cam seals for weepage. They're cheap and easy to replace. If they're leaking, now is the time to swap them.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

got to be careful here... a new tensioner pulley has a little play in it, so if the op is thinking of replacing the pulley on the basis that it feels loose, they could be wasting their money. replace on mileage - not necessary this time around.

weepage is normal and healthy. leakage, i.e. where oil is running out, is not.

i personally favor not replacing them unless they actually leak. instead, use of a quality motor oil that contains seal conditioners can do wonders for seal performance. replacement has the risk of [expensive] damage if the job is fouled up. besides, it makes more logical sense to replace /all/ the seals if one were doing a job like that, and that would involve transmission removal to access the main seal. again, look to the quality oil solution first.
I would add one more task based on experience with our '96 Odyssey. While you've got the valve cover off doing the cam belts, this is a good time to adjust the valves. Also replace the valve cover & sparkplug tube gaskets, which are probably flattened out, hardened and preparing to leak by now.
On 10/6/06 8:28 AM, in article Xns9854606F1E65Etegger@207.14.116.130,

Thanks everybody. I was already planning to do the valve adjustment and the new gaskets sound like a good idea.
The thermostat was replaced about a year ago due to cold running.
Right on the Honda coolant - wouldn't use anything else.
I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the internet anymore. Any idea what would be a good price in the US for these parts?
Timing Belt Balance Shaft Belt Water Pump Honda Coolant Valve cover gasket set

OEM Honda parts on the net: www.slhondaparts.com (California) www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Rhode Island) www.cheapesthondaparts.com (Colorado; monitor shipping closely)
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:45:24 GMT, "Elle"

Thanks a lot! Ordered the parts from Majestic in RI and saved a bunch.
Elle wrote:

Elle,
I just went there to see if I can get the plastic windshield trim (fake chrome) and it seems to not be on the list. I need three sets of this stuff front and rear. The only thing that I could save was the stainless corner clips. Kin youse take a looksee???..
TIA
JT
E wrote

Did you get to the following site (which is for the KAHMT version of your 83 FE), and is the "molding" listed there what you're seeking?
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2 83&catcgry3=R+FE+1300&catcgry4=KAHMT&catcgry5=WINDSHIELD-REAR+WINDOW
For the 82 (3 door FE 1300 4-speed manual): http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2 82&catcgry3=R+FE+1300&catcgry4=KA4MT&catcgry5=WINDSHIELD-REAR+WINDOW
I think Majestic's site (= hondaautomotiveparts.com) is a little easier to use when first checking for parts.
Elle wrote:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2 83&catcgry3=R+FE+1300&catcgry4=KAHMT&catcgry5=WINDSHIELD-REAR+WINDOW
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2 82&catcgry3=R+FE+1300&catcgry4=KA4MT&catcgry5=WINDSHIELD-REAR+WINDOW
I dunno as I think all the Honda (dealer) parts scheme was created in logical hell and I'm being punished for something I allegedly did (but really didn't). I guess the fact that Japanese read right to left and the back cover is really the front cover contributes to the confooshion...
Thanks,
JT
Elle wrote:

Oooops, that's for the '83 Honda Civic FE and my latest aquisition, an '82 el cheapo 4 speed hatchback ($200)...
JT