What to check on 96 Accord EX

Hi all, 1996 Honda Accord EX 5 Speed. Starting yesterday, whenever I get in and start the vehicle, the radio displays code. I also lose all my presets. I have the code and put it in, but once I turn off the car, the cycle repeats. Also, the clock resets and also does not display as it usually does when the vehicle is on. When I press the panel that covers the buttons, it displays the time (starting at 1:00 from when I started the vehicle). Does anyone know what fuse/relay/wire to check to fix this?

Reply to
C R

The radio backup fuse is blown. Look for it in the underhood fusebox. Usually 7.5 amps

Reply to
E Meyer

E Meyer wrote in news:C2E24DBD.26CBE% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

Is this fuse actually called "radio backup? I should put this in the FAQ.

Reply to
Tegger

I don't know what it is on that version of Accord. But if I remember right, on the 4th-gen (1990-93) there was a fuse under the hood that was called simply "backup".

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

It seems to hold up until at least model year 2000. On my '96 Odyssey it was "radio bu". On the '00 TL it was simply "bkup". The consistent thing was they both said "backup" in some abbreviation and they are 7.5A. This is also the fuse you pull to reset the ECM.

On the '06 CR-V, it says "audio" and its 10A (the ECM backup is also on a different fuse on the CR-V).

Reply to
E Meyer

E Meyer wrote in news:C2E29CF9.26CF5% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

The "backup" fuse has been present from at least 1990. I did some checking in my shop manuals to see what pulling that fuse actually did.

It looks like if that fuse were blown, the ECU and various other things would be reset at the same time as the clock.

Have you actually had the clock-reset thing happen to you personally? And was it fixed by replacing the fuse?

Reply to
Tegger

The backup (radio) fuse has been replaced. The radio has kept its presets and the clock displays again. Now how do I get the radio to recognize the CD changer again?

Reply to
C R

I have experienced the radio "code" & it was that fuse, didn't notice the clock at the time.

I found the service manual for the '96 Odyssey, which for all intents and purposes is an Accord with captain's chairs. The description in the FSM for that fuse (#39 in the under-hood box) is "PCM, clock, audio unit". Its sort of interesting that the FSM only gives descriptions of the fuses' functions and does not list the names on the fuse box cover. At least in this case, I believe that fuse or the wiring coming off it will account for both the OP's problems.

Reply to
E Meyer

Can't help with that, but if the fuse blows again, I think the changer & its associated wiring would be the first thing to check.

Reply to
E Meyer

E Meyer wrote in news:C2E34DD5.26D14% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

Thanks. I'll add this when I get a chance. It's common enough.

Reply to
Tegger

I am now thinking the ECM may be involved, because I now have a check engine light on (after replacing the fuse). The disk changer is the one that has been in the car since purchased used in 1998, so I would think it odd, but not implausible, that it would cause problems now. Still haven't gotten the radio to re-recognize the disk changer yet. I will try unplugging and replugging when I have the time to rip apart the dashboard and console. Thanks for the help so far, C R

Reply to
C R

E Meyer wrote in news:C2E34DD5.26D14% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

Finally added this to the FAQ. Thanks.