what yr. did honda start using neutral safety switches ?

My 1981 and 1987 Accords did not have a neutral safety switch for the manual 5 speed trans. My 2006 Civic has one. I am curious of when Honda started using them on their automobiles. TIA.

I thought a "neutral safety switch" was for an automatic transmission. An "interlock switch" (located at the clutch pedal) is for a manual transmission. Both prevent starting of the car in gear yada...
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com indicates manual transmission Accords started having the interlock switch about 1990. Civics, about 1992. Though I think my 91 Civic has one, and my Chilton's manual suggests Civics earlier than 1992 have them.

Thanks. Ok on interlock switch and not safety switch.Sun, 05 Feb 2006

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 17:55:55 GMT, "Elle"

Its odd but if you're going to start the car in neutral accidentally often enoug for it to be a problem, HOW did you pass your test?
I've had an occasion or two when I've been very glad I could start my car in gear, A helpfull addition to a push when you're on your own. Of course, much harder with left hand drive cars, as the key isn't next to the window.
In fact, i seem to recall that this method is in the highway code (the UK govt 'driving manual') as an emergency procedure to help move the car to a safe position. Sure, its not great for your starter, but they're reletively cheap to replace, and if it helps avoid a nasty accident...