Where is my oil disappearing to?

Page 1 of 3
My 2001 Odyssey is consuming oil at what I think is an alarming rate. A couple months ago the oil light came on - I immediately shut the vehicle off
and ended up adding 3 quarts of oil. I checked it again the other day and had to add half a quart.
This engine only has 41K miles. It does not put out blue smoke; there are no oil spots in our garage. Don't tell me that this can possibly be normal consumption??? Where could this oil be going?
Thanks, Be
Have you thoroughly inspected the exterior of the engine? Especially right beneath the valve cover and distributor?

Oops--Is the 2001 Odyssey distributor-less? If so, of course strike that second part below.

I would suggest a visit to the dealer, get an estimate, and then call Honda Customer Service. Honda has a tremendous reputation for quality and I would see what they would consider doing on your behalf. Be polite, but firm about this issue. Has the van ever overheated and are you the original owner? Good luck.
If you think Honda has a tremendous reputation for quality you haven't been keeping up on the Odyssey, especially the 99-01 models. Other than transmission failures, EGR blockage, motor mount failure, Catalytic converter failure and a few others the quality stinks. It wasn't stated how many miles for the oil consumption but it is going to take some diagnosis to determine what is causing it. A little more than my crystal ball can determine......

Woody, I stand behind my comment about Honda Quality. Yes they do have transmission failures, but did Honda extend the warranty? If the problem is a Honda design or maufacturing problem, I bet they will assist the customer. I have yet to see an Ody in the junk yard and Consumer Reports rates the Odyssey as a "CR Good Bets" on page 80 of its 2006 Annual Auto Issue. The Ody is not perfect but you could do a lot worse.
In article

All car companies have troubles related to some models. The question is related to how the car companies handle these issues. Based upon my experiece with a Dodge Ram 50 pickup truck and 2 Honda Accords--it's my opinion that Honda does a much better job than the Chrysler Inc. in relation to how they handled problems that I have had. Of course, Chrysler has now been taken over by Mercedes so they may now be doing a much better job dealing with customer complaints. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Woody wrote:

Obviously you haven't been keeping up on reality. At least Honda has acknowledged these problems and have been working to fix them. Do you expect the big 3 to do the same? Of course not! Unlike the big 3, Honda remains committed to quality.
The van has never overheated; I am the original owner; I also have an extended warranty.
Be
On 4/23/06 9:03 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, "duckbill"

Another thought.....are you sure the right amount of oil was put in at your last oil change? Also, sometimes a shop or person could accidently leave the old oil filter gasket on the engine and get a massive leak there. I know of shops/people that have done all of these things. I would be getting a new oil filter to be in the safe side. How often were you checking your oil prior to the oil light? There are souls out there that only check oil when the light lights.

I hate to suggest this, but it could be a bad ring. A few years ago we were seeing several posts of low-mileage Hondas suddenly consuming quarts of oil a month. Most remained a mystery, but one sufferer under warranty persisted and the dealer tore down the engine to find a broken ring in one cylinder. I don't know if it showed up on a compression check, or if it was a compression ring or oil control ring. I don't think I've ever heard of broken oil control rings, though.
I believe the catalytic converters prevent the exhaust from smoking even with significant oil burning.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

i second that. broken rings a good candidate.
BE wrote:

------------------------------------
Change your PCV with a HONDA original part, and check your oil as often as the manual says.
'Curly'
So, a "couple of months ago" you ran your engine with zero oil pressure (the light came on) for at best only a few seconds. You dumped in 3 quarts of oil, and then several months later decided to give it a check (wow amazing - you must be a real maintenance freak). How many miles do you drive in "a couple of months"?
You should change the oil and filter now with a quality oil of the weight specified by Honda. Then record your odometer reading and check the oil once a week. You need to know how many miles it takes to use a half a quart, not how long.
BE wrote:

How much do I drive in a couple months? Well, here's the math. The car is one-owner and has been mine for 58 months. It has 41000 miles. That's a shade less than 707 miles per month.... Not an amount that should scare me into checking it weekly, at least not (in my opinion) when a car with Honda's good reputation behind it has less miles on it than some people drive in 18 months.
Be
On 4/23/06 1:49 PM, in article I_P2g.60$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga, "Al"

So it sounds like it is consuming a quart every 2800 miles. Probably more than average but not an alarming amount. You are lucky (and wise to have stopped driving as soon as the light came on.) It is common that cars which didn't really have an oil consumption problem before they got too low, do have a problem afterwards.
Either it wasn't properly filled at the previous oil change, or you drove it about 8400 miles after an oil change without checking it. You don't have to check it every week, but you do have to check it periodically. Once a month is good if you aren't having problems.

Be, It's my guess that the the rings are starting to wear. A compression check during the next scheduled oil change service should reveal any serious problems related to the rings. You may also want to have a tune-up in case the valves, timing, etc need to be adjusted. If you have a oil change and the oil becomes black within two weeks--that could be a sign of a bad head gasket. I advise you to check the oil about once a week in order to check the level and the color of the oil. Keep a record of the results. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On 4/24/06 12:26 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@66-52-22-63.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net, "Jason"

I checked the oil again Saturday and had to add another quart to bring it to full. I took note of the mileage and will be ready with a hard number of miles driven when I add the next quart.
I think the advice here has been valuable and suspect the rings problem now due to the input given. I'll let you all know how this turns out.
Thanks! Be

Yup - that's what it is sounding like. Best of luck to you.
Mike
On 4/24/06 12:26 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@66-52-22-63.lsan.pw-dia.impulse.net, "Jason"

I checked the oil again Saturday and had to add another quart to bring it to full. I took note of the mileage and will be ready with a hard number of miles driven when I add the next quart.
I think the advice here has been valuable and suspect the rings problem now due to the input given. I'll let you all know how this turns out.
Thanks! Be
============================== OK - here is what I found. I filled the oil to full and took an odometer reading. Some three weeks [667 miles] later, I needed to add 3/4 of a quart to bring it back to full again. You could extrapolate that out to say that for every 900 miles a quart is being consumed.
Be