Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max. My dealer is claiming that this is an =91extreme=92 climate condition and wanting to use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in my =9208 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.

FYI: I=92ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70 mph.

Reply to
Chief_Billy

I think your dealer is an asshole, who's trying to make an extra buck by selling you "semi-synthetic" oil that you don't need.

Tell him to f*ck off and put the 5W-20 in.

Reply to
Dan C

Hi, Semi-synyhretic will last longer. Why not try it once and see?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

To a MM system it won't last any longer than having conventional oil in it. Putting in synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is more of if you want to than anything else.

Reply to
nick

FYI: I?ve driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70 mph.

First rule for pilots: Always believe your

Reply to
Boogie Woogie

Dealer is full of crap. By his calculation, then, the entire East Coast is an 'extreme climate'? Have himput in exactly what the manufacturer recommends.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:c32f8a45-baf9-4b16-a051-3812dd0ee701 @p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

What does Honda say?

Hint: The dealer is NOT Honda. Believe it or not.

Reply to
Tegger

I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk directly... ;)

Reply to
Chief_Billy

I think your right. In fact, I might just do the oil change myself and document it to fulfill the maintenance/warranty requirements.

Reply to
Chief_Billy

It's in your owners manual. But here ya go....800-999-1009

Howard P.S If you send me an email I'll give you some important info on this topic. Write to howardh1951athotmail.com Substitute the at for @

I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk directly... ;)

Reply to
howard

Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Honda told you what to use in your Owner's Manual, which I assume you've read.

The dealer is an independent company that owns a franchise purchased from Honda. They are free to attempt to sell you whatever magick potions they figure you can be manipulated into spending money on, whether Honda likes it or not.

Honda is an especially diligent automaker, so what they officially recommend is not to be readily sloughed off.

If you no longer have an Owner's Manual, you can get one for free, directly from Honda (albeit as PDFs). Just ask how.

Reply to
Tegger

I've been changing my own oil for 30 years, largely because I am then completely sure what oil and what filter went into it. Peace of mind is worth a little effort.

Reply to
Dan C

c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

I have the Owners Manual, but in the Mainenance section it does not give 'due dates' for many of the service procedures. With my 01 Civic, I know exactly what needs to be done and when. I think with the CR-V it is supposed to pop up on the display with a letter A, B,

1,2,3..etc. each of which indicates one or more maintenance procedures (A =3D change oil). I hate the computerized maintenance notifications. I'm an EE, and am used to knowing and following tight preventive maintenance procedures and schedules, and knowing exactly what is due and when.
Reply to
Chief_Billy

Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you are used to that, but vast hordes of unwashed proletarians are not. It is for them that the Maintenance Minder was devised. Poor maintenance is the #1 factor in excessive emissions.

Personally, I believe that if federal emissions limits weren't screwed down so far, and if the automakers weren't saddled with federal emissions warranty requirements, that Maintenance Minder would not be in your car right now.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

Hell, I'll take it if it means we get a 15-year Emissions Warranty w/PZEV vehicles (only 5 states have it so far IIRC) like the '08 Accord.

FIFTEEN year warranty is killer, especially since I read it covers a lot of parts in the emissions system.

Reply to
Polfus

"Polfus" wrote in news:4852ef8f$0$5104$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Guess who pays for all that? It's not Honda.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

Who is it then? Who does Honda send the bill to after they pay whoever fixes it, say if something happens in 2019?

I imagine you're gonna say taxpayers, but how does that work when if they repair something on their car?

Peace, Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Jason" wrote

Sorry...I meant "...I imagine you're gonna say taxpayers- but how does that work when a Honda dealership, for example, repairs something on one of their cars?"

Peace, Jason

Reply to
Jason

"Jason" wrote in news:48534c7d$0$7055$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

YOU. You pay for it in an increased purchase price for the car.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote in

Aarrgg...yeah..the '08 Accord did take a bite out of my wallet.

Peace, Jason

Reply to
Jason