Which Oil: 5W-20, or 5W-30 Semi-synth

Page 1 of 2
I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max. My dealer is claiming that this is an extreme climate condition and wanting to
use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in my 08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
FYI: Ive driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70 mph.
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:15:25 -0700, Chief_Billy wrote:

I think your dealer is an asshole, who's trying to make an extra buck by selling you "semi-synthetic" oil that you don't need.
Tell him to fuck off and put the 5W-20 in.
Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.

I think your right. In fact, I might just do the oil change myself and document it to fulfill the maintenance/warranty requirements.
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:51:28 -0700, Chief_Billy wrote:

I've been changing my own oil for 30 years, largely because I am then completely sure what oil and what filter went into it. Peace of mind is worth a little effort.
Now filtering out all posts originating from Google Groups.
Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Semi-synyhretic will last longer. Why not try it once and see?

To a MM system it won't last any longer than having conventional oil in it. Putting in synthetic or semi-synthetic oil is more of if you want to than anything else.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Not always true, as with many brands their lowest grade of oil is marketed as a semi-synthetic. Kendall, 76 and the rest of the ConocoPhilips line up.
I live/drive in Central Florida, where Summer temps average 85-95 max. My dealer is claiming that this is an extreme climate condition and wanting to use 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend oil, vs. the OEM recommended 5W-20, in my 08 CR-V. I disagree, and would like to know what others think.
FYI: Ive driven my 01 Civic 250,000 highway miles in this climate using the recommended 5W-20, and it STILL gets 38-40 mpg on I-95 at 70 mph.
First rule for pilots: Always believe your instruments.
First rule for auto maintenance: Always do what the Owner's Manual says...
On Jun 10, 10:15 am, Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Dealer is full of crap. By his calculation, then, the entire East Coast is an 'extreme climate'? Have himput in exactly what the manufacturer recommends.
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

What does Honda say?
Hint: The dealer is NOT Honda. Believe it or not.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk directly... ;)
It's in your owners manual. But here ya go....800-999-1009
Howard P.S If you send me an email I'll give you some important info on this topic. Write to howardh1951athotmail.com Substitute the at for @
<Chief_Billy@h otmail.com> wrote in message

I can't seem to find a method of contacting the Honda USA Help Desk directly... ;)
Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

Honda told you what to use in your Owner's Manual, which I assume you've read.
The dealer is an independent company that owns a franchise purchased from Honda. They are free to attempt to sell you whatever magick potions they figure you can be manipulated into spending money on, whether Honda likes it or not.
Honda is an especially diligent automaker, so what they officially recommend is not to be readily sloughed off.
If you no longer have an Owner's Manual, you can get one for free, directly from Honda (albeit as PDFs). Just ask how.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I have the Owners Manual, but in the Mainenance section it does not give 'due dates' for many of the service procedures. With my 01 Civic, I know exactly what needs to be done and when. I think with the CR-V it is supposed to pop up on the display with a letter A, B, 1,2,3..etc. each of which indicates one or more maintenance procedures (A = change oil). I hate the computerized maintenance notifications. I'm an EE, and am used to knowing and following tight preventive maintenance procedures and schedules, and knowing exactly what is due and when.
Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

Maybe you are used to that, but vast hordes of unwashed proletarians are not. It is for them that the Maintenance Minder was devised. Poor maintenance is the #1 factor in excessive emissions.
Personally, I believe that if federal emissions limits weren't screwed down so far, and if the automakers weren't saddled with federal emissions warranty requirements, that Maintenance Minder would not be in your car right now.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Hell, I'll take it if it means we get a 15-year Emissions Warranty w/PZEV vehicles (only 5 states have it so far IIRC) like the '08 Accord.
FIFTEEN year warranty is killer, especially since I read it covers a lot of parts in the emissions system.
wrote

Guess who pays for all that? It's not Honda.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Who is it then? Who does Honda send the bill to after they pay whoever fixes it, say if something happens in 2019?
I imagine you're gonna say taxpayers, but how does that work when if they repair something on their car?
Peace, Jason

Sorry...I meant "...I imagine you're gonna say taxpayers- but how does that work when a Honda dealership, for example, repairs something on one of their cars?"
Peace, Jason
wrote

YOU. You pay for it in an increased purchase price for the car.