Which one is more snow worthy?

Page 2 of 4

Yes, the rear.
Your car is built with inherent understeer. To preserve what the engineers built in, put the sticker tires in the rear and let the fronts slide similar to what everyone expects.
If you put the stickier ones in front, the fronts will track but the rears will slide. In other words, the rear of the car will arrive at the scene of the accident first--called oversteer. You don't want that. You're not used to it, and the car isn't designed for it.
Budget restraints? Put 'em on the rear. But really dump the fast food and Starbucks for a few months and put the money toward another pair of matching winter tires (or Nokian WR).
On 8/17/2010 5:09 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

    They seem to happen more often than we ever thought they would. :^)

    In my experience (and there are a lot of people here that will disagree with this), I would prefer to have the snows on the drive/steer tires. With tires with good tread on the rear (budget restraints taken into account).

Never, EVER get just two snow (winter) tires. Match them all, whatever they are.
Two snows and two all-seasons is way more dangerous than four all-seasons.

I've been in western NY in the winter. They know how to take care of the roads up there. It's not such a big deal.
Although, sometimes mother nature does overwhelm thing--at which point, you just stay home.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yep, two feet a day for a few days in a row can really do it.
Glad I'm not part of *that* picture!
JT
Grumpy AuContraire ( snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com) writes:

Thank God and the Baby Jesus, that they discovered "chemicals".
30 years ago or so, I drove through Fort Worth after an 'Old Fashion Texas Ice Storm' had hit, with a front wheel drive car that had never gotten stuck in a Canadian winter. I got stuck with it in Fort Worth. I could not believe it... stuck in Texas, in the winter.
To get unstuck I had to find a 'grassy knoll' to dig down through to get the copious quantities of dirt needed for spreading under the tires. I had to chisel through 3" of frozen slush, with a large screwdriver and a machine hammer, and then dig out about 2 shovelfuls of dirt for traction.
Changing lanes on the Interstate was like driving over two greasy 4" sidewalk curbs.

Ha!... I'll see your Buffalo NY with a Watertown NY, and raise you an Oswego NY (Oswego NY... possibly the only place in the east that can look like the Donner Pass after a blizzard).

It is so ever pretty, isn't it.

M.A. Stewart wrote:

snip
I'll see your selection and raise you RI during and after the blizzard of '78...
JT
Grumpy AuContraire ( snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com) writes:

I'll see it and raise with "The Storm Of The Century" (from Georgia to Maine March 10, 11, 12, 13, 1993)
M.A. Stewart wrote:

That doesn't count... I had already move to TX by then...
JT
Grumpy AuContraire ( snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com) writes:

I'll see it and raise with "The Storm Of The Century" (from Georgia to Maine March 10, 11, 12, 13, 1993)

I've never had to use chains, but when the weather gets to that point we put away the wheeled vehicles and use something that drives by track.
On 8/16/2010 12:34 PM, Iowna Uass wrote:

    LOL! Hello Winterpeg! ;^)

I'm also in New England and do just fine in 6-8 of snow with my Accord and my wife does fine in her Odyssey. You are making WAY more of this then it warrants.

agreed.
Odyssey with decent all season tires goes through the white stuff nicely, and over the tall white stuff just fine.
My 92 Civic Si, though, required that I shovel the driveway at least a little bit once the snow got so high that I couldn't plow through it.
But a CRV? Even in western NY, it works great year round without hassle.
Some people have to overthink things in order to feel comfortable.

Well Seth, I want to know what kind of Accord you have that can do that! My friend has a 2008 Accord with an Automatic transmission. He has driven it and I have also, and as soon as there was 3+ inches of snow on the ground watch out! It was horrible in the snow and ice especially if there were small inclines. It would be fine up to 3 inches and the tires had only 22,000 miles on them at the time we tried this.
One of the reasons I bought the CRV is I feel safe in it, plus it has a lot of room for grocery shopping, carrying the kids and carrying large items, and its practical and versatile. I also like it because it is reported to be very good in deeper snow, up to 12" I heard.
Jill
In article

Any of them.
I had zero problems with my 2000 Accord on all season tires. Snow was no impediment, even many inches of it.
On 8/14/2010 7:46 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    Exactly, it all boils down to the skill level of the person behind the steering wheel. If he knows his stuff, he can go wherever he wants whenever he wants, no matter what Mother Nature throws at him.

Okay so now my question is: why get 4WD or AWD? What would be the point if the Accord is able to drive in 6-8" of snow?
Thanks, Jill
In article

bingo.
By and large, it's a marketing thing.
AWD was strictly an Audi thing until a series of events occurred in the auto marketing world in the 90s, starting with people buying the truck-based SUV that was originally designed for people doing weekend rock crawling and going deep into the nasty parts of the woods and whatnot for recreation.
People started buying these SUVs to haul their families around because "station wagons and minivans just scream MOM! or FAMILY! way too much, I need something DIFFERENT!". The auto mfrs responded by assuming the customers wanted 4WD, then the whole thing transmogrified into people buying car based tall wagons where all the wheels were driven--but the mfrs made them AWD with no complicated buttons or levers or controls, replacing the 4WD systems that made the driver think about what he was doing and where the levers and gearshift had to be for any given situation.
In essence, you bought a Civic station wagon. But the whole "we must drive all wheels" carried over from the original days when the actual form that people bought happened to be driving all the wheels in some fashion or another.
You can get through the snow just fine with an Accord, and even better if you equip that Accord with snow tires. The snow tire equipped Accord, in fact, will do it BETTER than your all-season tire CRV.
AWD weighs more and causes you to spend more gas to drive it around. It also requires more maintenance. Why get AWD? Because you got suckered into it. The front wheel drive CRV would get you everywhere you need to go in any weather you're going to encounter and choose to drive in, regardless.
On 8/15/2010 5:03 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    Unless one lives in an area that receives a lot of miserable weather conditions pretty much year round, 4WD is an expense that is unnecessary. AWD can be fun to drive, if you have places where you can unleash the vehicle to run as it is able to do, unfettered by the worry of making a purchase of a ticket to the Policeman's Ball. :^)