Which vehicle would you keep?

The short story is I need to put one of the Hondas up for sale, and I am having a tough time determining which one must go.

I currently have a 2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe with 90,000 miles on it and my wife's 1997 Civic EX Coupe with a 5 speed manual and 67,000 miles on it. Both cars are completely paid for, so I have nothing to worry about there.

The Civic just had its CV joints, windshield wiper motor, and driver's side power window motor replaced. Other than that it runs like a champ and gets me 30 MPG in the City and 37 MPG on the highway.

The Accord just had one of the computers replaced in it, and I have concerns about the automatic transmission life if I keep it for another 60,000 to 80,000 miles. Other than the computer issue that caused my Check Engine light to stay on, this car has been mechanically sound.

Well, this is getting longer than I expected, but the bottom line is one of the Hondas must go to make room for the IMS Rampvan that I am purchasing for my wife who became wheelchair bound as a result of brain surgery in October 2005. She is finally coming home from the hospital this week.

In a way, I want to keep the Civic because of the lower miles, and the fact that a standard is generally easier to keep running than an automatic. The great gas mileage is also a plus.

I also am leaning towards keeping the Accord because it is bigger and more comfortable. I am concerned that I will get bit by the automatic V6 bug after the recall runs out, thus costing me more than the car is worth (when it does happen) to get the transmission replaced.

What does the group suggest?

Reply to
Chris B

Dunno about he group, but i'd go for the civic. Its lower milage, a manual, cheaper to run. If you want bigness and comfort, you have that big rampvan.

Reply to
flobert

The Civic, for all the reasons you outline.

The transmission kills the Accord for me, period. Plus--you're getting a "bigger and more comfortable" car with the van, right?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'll agree with Elmo and flobert. You'll have the van for size and comfort and the civic for economy and predicted reliability. It's also a manual (a plus).

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Thanks for the replies and putting things into perspective with the big ass ramp van for a larger, more comfortable vehicle! Since the Civic will become my daily driver, AND I get reimbursed for travel out of town, I should make out pretty good with gas as high as it is.

My younger cousin took it from Louisiana to Florida this weekend, and said he averaged 36 to 37 MPG on the highway cruising along at 70 to

80 MPH. Not bad for a car that is almost 10 years old!

Now for my last gripe. Honda needs to get off of their ass and make a rampvan mobility vehicle. Up until a few years ago, all we had were crappy American Full Sized Vans or Ford/Chrystler mini vans. Toyota joined in a couple of years ago, but their wait for a Sienna rampvan or Scion mobility vehicle is several months.

Reply to
Chris B

3rd party comapnies are your friend. i take it then there's a demand for them. an aquintance9new england honda tech) and I have talked about an electric ridgeline, amongst other things

if, however, mobility vehicles are in such short supply, might be something to look into (I'm a dab-hand with the old metalwork and DC)

Reply to
flobert

Actually, it is third party companies that make the mobility vehicles BUT those third party companies are authorized by the automakers. From what I could tell with my research in a vehicle for transporting my wife around, Nissan and Honda mini vans had no parts available for them. Going custom on one of those vans would end up costing way more than a Braun Entervan or IMS Rampvan.

Reply to
Chris B

I just sold my 2001 Accord EX-V6 with 152k on it and no problems.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Dunno about the group but I'd consider selling both a getting a new Civic sedan with manual transmission.

Of the two on your list, I'd keep the Accord.

Reply to
ACAR