"whining" noise from steering column

1991 Honda Accord EX (4 dr, auto)
There is a whining noise when you turn the steering wheel that sounds like it is coming from the column. (We joke that it sounds like a whiny puppy.) I
think it might sound like the steel part of the column rubbing against a dried rubber or plastic part. After the car warms up, it goes away, or is quite a bit less noticeable. (I can't say if it's the warming up as in heat, or just driving it a little.)
Any ideas?
Thanks, R Flowers
Just a suggestion for where to start:
It may be the contacts for the electrical connections to the steering wheel need lubrication or replacement. I am not familiar with this car, but some have a spring loaded contact that presses against a contact ring. You may have to remove the cover to lubricate or replace one or more contacts.
Good luck.
"R Flowers" ( snipped-for-privacy@TheGoogleOne.com) writes:

I don't remember the details, but I think there is a Honda service bulletin about 'Steering Groan', on 4Gee Accords. I remember driving a 4 month old 4Gee in 1993 briefly, and noticed a groan when spinning the steering wheel, whilst doing parking manoeuvres.

I think that was caused by an undersized power steering hose, which Honda replace under a TSB.
Jon

Yep.
What kind of fluid is in there?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

When I'm driving, there's no whiney noise. When my younger daughter drives, that whining noise is a continuous noise from the nut behind the wheel.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but it would be ruder to not respond at all.
When I read your question, I had a bad moment. Had I even checked the fluid? I was so convinced the whining was on the inside of the firewall that I had not really looked.
I am not sure what kind of fluid is in there. I just buy 'fluid'. I noticed that what I did have (it was not that low, but on the low side) was bubbly & brown.
I put some more of my fluid in, and I think the whining has gone away. What kind of fluid does my Accord need? (And please don't blame me for not reading the manual, I bought the car used it is long gone. :)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

======================= Here's a link to your manual:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_OMANUAL.asp