Who will be the US "Big 3" in 2016?

Page 1 of 2
My prediction for the 2016 *retail* US sales rankings:
1) Toyota 2) Honda 3) Hyundai 4) GM-Ford (as a merged company)

Why is Hyundai on the list? Everything I have seen made by them is a piece of shit compared to anything Japaneese or American.

Hundai is a heck of a success story. Near death after selling a bunch of crappy cars, they turned things completely around in recent years.
Don't give up on Ford or GM they can make a comeback.
IMHO, their fist big step is making cars that appeal to younger people. All the teens want Hondas and Toyotas and probably continue buying them as they age. I've worked for the same emplyer for 17 years and know many people well. If they're not driving a Ford or GM truck, then it is a Toyota, Honda or Mazda. Many of the US passenger cars are older models. One minor trend is a couple of new Ford Fusions out in the lot.
I find myself wanting a Toyota Yaris liftback. I find myself needing something with better mileage for daily driving (I need to keep the truck for hauling for my side business). Once I again, the American Automakers are asleep at the wheel. They don't produce anything that compares to the Yaris/Fit/Scion. Yes GM has the Aveo, but what's with the crappy fuel mileage? I looked at the Focus, but the design looks tired and boring after nearly 7 years.
Next there's the Ranger compact truck. A decent, reliable vehicle that actually has some Japanese hardware in it, but Ford won't redesign years after it should have been and the "middle" engine is the anemic 3.0L V6 that gets SUV like gas milege and has less HP than many 4 bangers (like GMs new model). The 4L V6 is better after they gave it some more power a few years ago, but the full size truck mileage mumbers stink.
Next there's GM that dumps the compact truck and intruduces a redesigned "midsized" pickup in the midst of higher gas prices. Fuel economy could be a bit better and it still gets the solid black dot treatment with CRs reliability score - just like the crappy S10 it replaced.
Pontiac. Lets build cars that all the models look the same! Let's make the GTO a family appeal car. RIP new GTO. Sheesh.
Overall, their problem is they are too slow in responding to the marketplace and seem to clueless in designing cars with appeal. John

Their first big step is unloading all the union contracts. They are watching Northwest do in their unions. GM will follow. Cut overhead first.

If you want to level the playing field, then let's have national health coverage like all the other industrialized countries. Get it off the back of the corporations. Why should GM have to pay for it while Honda doesn't?
Hondas employees in the US do not get as good a wage, benefits, including healthcare, or pensions as do GMs employees. Surely you do not believe that national health coverage will be free, do you? Why do you think gas cost $6 or more in Europe and they have a VAT tax? LOL
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

In order to promote good transport systems and it is working
Excessive taxation slows economic growth. Hence the poor economic growth in Europe, over the past ten years or so, and the high unemployment rates. Free medical is anything but free. Surly you do not want the US to emulate Europe? ;)
mike hunt

Taxation on petrol has prompted new technology to go away from petrol and thus promoted smaller cars, bigger trains and better economy
US could do well emulating Europe
Europe has been improving a lot its transport system over the last decades and not the least because of controlled taxation by taxing petrol and promoting alternatives
Market economy with lots of interventions by the governments in health care and unemployment benefits has created a very good balance and a strong middle class
The high unemployment rates are mainly in former east areas and results of former centralised controled governments
The production per manhours is much higher in Europe than in the US
The norm is for 6 weeks paid vacations, many countries 35 hour work weeks, not unusual around 50 year pension schemes
The underground economy where people pay each other without letting the government know is also quite high so the overall economy is much better than the official figures show
Unemployed people, people on holidays, medical benefits or pensions are often working and paid with black money giving extra strenght to the economy
The US could learn a lot from Europe but they do not because they think they know it all
Mike Hunter wrote:

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:34:41 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Here is a question for you, Mike. What is the second richest country in the world that doesn't have nationalized health care?

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:08:20 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

No, but it costs a lot less than health care in the US and everyone has it.
Why do you think gas cost

Instead of creating a nationwide healthcare system, we oughta shore up the free market healthcare system in several ways. First, we need more MD's and nurses, and this can be done by creating more medical colleges and expanding nursing education programs. Quality of care would go up, and costs would go way down. Supply and demand. There are few spots open in medical schools. The difference in credentials between those getting in and those not getting in are negligable at best. There are many qualified people who can't get into medical school, because there are so few spots open. Also nursing. A family friend is a nursing professor at a university near here. There are way more applicants to the nursing program than spots open in the program -- about 5 to 1. There aren't many spots open (even though there's a huge demand for nurses to the point that some make $50/hour), because there aren't enough nursing instructors (they'd rather make $50/hour as nurses in the hospital rather than $20/hour as nursing instructors at a college). We need to increase funding for nursing instructors so as to train more nurses. Also, we need to cap these huge medical malpractice jury awards. Many times, the awards are lopsided. A few victims get the lion's share of the malpractice dollars available, while others get nothing due to the malpractice insurance co. going bankrupt. Capping awards would lower the huge rates that doctors have to pay. All of these measures WOULD lower medical cost and increase the level of time a physician could spend with their patients, and overall improve the healthcare industry.
-
Everyone who want to lower health care cost in the US should write to their Senators and ask them to vote to stop debate, on pending tort reform legislation so it can come up before the Senate for a vote, and you will have more Doctors and Nurses. I have a personal friend, a well known heart surgeon who no longer practices because of Mal Practice Insurance costs.
mike hunt

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 06:13:15 GMT, William H. Bowen

Really? The Canadian government can command a US company to sell its products in Canada and then set the price? And all the other countries can do this also? How does that work?
Don't be naive. Big Pharma makes a good profit selling to those other countries. They are making a killing in the US. Don't believe the big sob stories about their research and FDA approval costs and the great new drugs they give us. While there are constant improvements in drugs, most new drugs launched on the market are little or no better than the old ones and a new drug always carries an uncertain risk. And a lot of the research is marketing driven.

A lot of work needed, no doubt. Fortunately there are lots of working models to learn from.
If you want to be scared, check out the number of personal bankruptcies which are caused by medical expenses and the stories behind them.
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:22:39 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

But medicare pays less than private insurance. And private insurance pays less than you do with no insurance. How the hell can it be Medicare's fault that the price is high. The fact is that Medicare runs a very tight ship. (Except for Bush's welfare subsidy to Big Pharma masquerading as a drug plan for seniors.)

Yep, what we have now is the most expensive health care in the world. When you look at it that way, hard to imagine that the government could make it worse.

WHO THE FUCK CARES?
Take it to email or an appropriate newsgroup.
Just go to alt.autos.toyota if you want to see what you're turning this previously fine newgroup into.

Obviously you don't care about things that are important. So why not just overlook the off-topic threads and move on? Or killfile some folks. You pencil necked geek.
-

I care.
But you don't get into heated debates about health care in the middle of my son's school Christmas play.
Everything has an appropriate time and place, and an inappropriate time and place.
I suppose you go to Wendy's and stand at people's lunch tables and start screaming your opinions about welfare, right? After all--according to you--"you care" and therefore it's appropriate, right?