Who Will Mod My 2001 Civic?

Need advice on reasonably inexpensive place that will perform mods on my 2001 Civic LX Coupe. I realize for AEM Cold air intake I could do it myself but I don't have any experience and I ain't doin it. Also, I may decide to get some headers at some point and I'm definitely not doing that.

Reply to
mahadragon

dude those are simple simple installs!! Headers are cake! The biggest thing you have to worry about with the headers is the gasket, and serioulsy you can't mess it up. Cold air intake is pretty easy also, all it is, is pulling out the Honda airbox and throwing it in. It isn't hard. Anyone could do it!!

Reply to
Snowboard3r

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Check out your local automotive sport shops,particularly the ones specializing in imports.Ask around. The Yellow Pages should be a big help.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

May want to just buy a better car, as the civic is a very slow car, and after you add an air intake and headers, it will still be a very slow car

Reply to
Jamco

A newer (faster) car will run at least $15,000. A new set of headers and cold air intake will be well under $1000. Case closed. I'm not made of money.

Reply to
mahadragon

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You might gain 10 HP from a cold air intake,and -maybe- another 10 from a low-restriction exhaust(you need more than just headers;a free-flow catalytic and cat-back exhaust piping and muffler.)

Headers will be useless without the other exhaust mods.

And if you have an auto transmission....what's the point?

BTW,I bought a Bomz cold air-intake off Ebay for US$60.00 -including shipping. It was easy to install.(94 Integra GSR)

Your ambient noise will increase greatly.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There are quite a few things you can do to civic's to "rice" them up. If you are going to do Cold Air Intake and Headers you might as well add Exhaust and underdrive pullies, and a throttle body spacer (depending on what intake u use), then you can get some hookups for the computer and use a laptop and configure your VTEC, and shift points, among other things. Like I noticed in another post, you aren't going to get alot of power increase with a few things, you need to seriously overhaul it all to get some power, plus weight reductions etc etc.

Shane

Reply to
Snowboard3r

none of that makes as much difference as cams. and to run those to best advantage, you need to rebuild the bottom end and re-spring the valves. and reset the rev limiter....

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Probably better to turbocharge it.You can use a modest boost and get good power gains without rebuilding the whole motor. Changing cams alters(reduces) the drivability of it under ordinary driving.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

the headers will do NOTHING on their own, so that is a waste of money. And the cold air intake, will probably get you like 2-4hp, unless you combine it with other mods. You would be better off giving your money to me, because what your planning will acheive nothing

Reply to
Jamco

"Jamco" wrote in news:Q1GVe.273111$on1.37671@clgrps13:

Honda Tuning Magazine did dyno tests on several short rams,two cold air intakes (CAI) and the K&N filter alone,on an RSX;the short rams got 5-7 HP,both CAIs made 20 HP,and the K&N filter got zero.That was on a 2.0? liter motor,OEM rated at 185 HP,IIRC.

If his motor is 1.6 liters,then HP gains would be proportionally less. Still worthwhile,IMO.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have to agree with you on the intake and the header swap. IMHO that is a waste of money for the performance gained.

Now, I know a kid here in town that did a GSR swap into his older civic, and that thing flies. Don't know what kind of times he gets, but I do know that his civic is WAY faster than my Wife's 97 stock Civic EX Coupe. If the OP has about $5,000 to blow, a JDM GSR swap may be within his reach to make his Civic a "little" quicker. Just don't pick on any Vettes with it because I watch this kid lose horribly to a Vette.

As for me, I am turning into an old geezer. If it doesn't come that way from the factory, that is the way it stays. My only two exceptions are:

  1. Crappy stock radios and speakers, they have to go.
  2. Dark tinted windows due to a "sun allergy" and melanoma.

Chris B.

2000 Honda Accord EX V-6 Coupe 1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Reply to
Chris B

blown sucks.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
Jamco

"Jamco" wrote in news:M6%Ve.231577$9A2.128948@edtnps89:

IIRC,the Honda Tuning(HTM) article was on a standard RSX. The -S model may already have a less-restrictive intake.(as part of gaining that extra HP) HTM well-documented their findings.It was quite a good article. I suspect that a Civic would gain a useful amount of power. After all,that is one of the most BASIC of mods that racers use to get more HP.I believe its the FIRST thing they do.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
Jamco