Why I'm never going to buy another Honda!!!!

When I got married in 2003, I asked my wife for all her repair receipts for her 1995 Honda Civic. I had mine all filed in my cabinet, over $10,000 worth for my 1992 car that is NOT a Honda. I wanted to file hers also, just to be organized. She stated that she never had her car repaired, so she didn't have any receipts. Of coarse she did her regular maintenance, however that was done by a family member, so there were no receipts either. I was shocked. For the next 3 years until 2006, there still wasn't anything repaired in her car. (The car was repainted in 2005, however that was only for cosmetics.) Finally in 2007, the car had her first repair. The radiator and the distributor cap was replaced. My wife's 12 year old Honda still only had a few hundred dollar worth of repairs. Her mileage is low, only 90,000, however, I'm still shocked at the minimal repairs the car went through.

So the reason I say, that I'M NEVER GOING BY ANOTHER HONDA again isn't because I don't like Honda's. It's because I don't believe in replacing something that isn't broken. At the rate this 1995 Honda Civic is going, it's never going to die.

P.S. There's only one company that makes cars: Honda. The rest only make prototypes.

Reply to
facts2opinion

Cute.

But just drive a new one, and you may choose to buy it! You think Honda is just standing still?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I bought my 87 Accord new, and still use it as my beater car. It gets more use than anything else to tell the truth.

With 120,000 miles, I've had to do a few things, CV axle's, a couple of timing belts, water pumps and batteries, a clutch, fuel pump, brakes a few times... did everything myself with the exception of mounting new tires and a muffler and alignments.

Still runs great! Paint has had it and it now needs an ignition switch... probably do it later this afternoon/evening.

It still has the original alternator, starter, distributor and cap, ignition wires, o2 sensor (!) and on and on. Has always passed smog with flying colors... it's amazing.

Not bad for a 20 year old car. If I recall correctly, the sticker price was $11,202. I negotiated a set of shop manuals into the deal when I bought it, and never looked back.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I recall from the early 70s when Honda brought the "revolutionary" CB750 to the US (before they made cars), a cycle mag decided to see if they could make it from coast to coast without a breakdown -- a unheard of idea at the time. They did. Only required a couple of chain adjustments. My first Honda was a CL77 305 scrambler -- rode it all around Japan. Also, had a CB750 back then and now cars since the late 80s.

Reply to
tww1491

"tww1491" wrote in news:melai.506724$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga:

Honda has made cars since 1962. Believe it or not.

Reply to
Tegger

No wonder you hide your name, to bluff all you want. Mysterios have no credibilty.

| At the rate this 1995 Honda | Civic is going, it's never going to die.

lists honda's common problems. My SM4 has several design flaws, got me stranded 3x already, I had to replace engine + gearbox + speed sensor + ignition switch + distributor + throttle angle sensor. Cheapo 4-1 exhaust manifold is on honda engines

Reply to
TE Chea

I bought a new Civic in 1973. It was so bad in every respect I vowed to never own another Honda. Well in 2006 I changed my mind and bought a Ridgeline. I'm sold on Honda now.

Reply to
Ed

File Not Found

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I'm on my third '87 Accord now. First one we bought used in '94 with about 160,000km, for $5700. It took us (me, the wife, and our five-year-old) from Vancouver to Chicago during the super-hot summer of '95. It took me and a buddy Van to San Francisco a couple years later. It took me all over BC for work a couple years after that. Went like stink, always great on gas (650+ highway kms per 50l tank). I finally wrote it off on an icy road about five years ago, with over 478,000km on it.

Got another one the next day for $800. Water pump was rattling, but I drove it for another two years before that finally gave out.

Got my current one right after that. $500 for a nice hatchie that had been horribly abused by a previous owner (in the form of lowering by cutting the springs, covering the interior with some kind of ugly blue flocking, the addition of some sort of blue disco lights inside...).

Had to swap in a new back end when the over-stressed dampers finally gave out and the constant banging when going over bumps eventually blew out an upper ball joint... but even that was barely an 8-hour job to pull the complete rear end - crossmember, trailing arms, struts, control arms and e-brake cables) - out of a parts car, swap over the sway bar from my car, and then stick the new setup back in.

Fantastic cars all around. Not perfect, to be sure, but a damn site better than just about anything else I or any friends or family members have ever owned. Only thing I've ever seen that was more solid was my dad's '81 Dodge pickup that he bought new, and retired in '87 with over

450,000km. That old Slant-6 engine was damn near indestructible. My sister ran it dry of oil once, so that afterward it was drinking a 4l jug just to make a 400km trip, but it just kept running. Timing chain was so stretched that it was making a horrible noise rubbing against the chain cover, but it kept on running.
Reply to
Matt Ion

honda's.www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8I3H4QO0.htm?sub=apn_home_down...

You're probably right. I've just never owned a Toyota yet. I have owned a GM, Nissan, Chrysler, Mazda, Ford, and Mercedes. However, I do have a family member that only buys Toyota's and they love it. Regarding the Business Week article, I haven't read it yet, however I do know that Toyotas are highly rated in reliability as stated in Consumer's Report. The thing that surprises me the most is that Hyundai is catching up.

Stan

Reply to
facts2opinion

I like Toyotas slightly better, but my Accord was the same way...it only needed repairs when my WIFE HIT THINGS WITH IT!!!!!

(Get this...she owed $0.50 fine on a Library book...went out in the worst storm of the winter, hit a curb and did $395 worth of damage to the CV joint...to avoid paying $0.75!!!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku