Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doing ANYTHING!!!!

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:54:05 +0000, Refinish King wrote:

Hey, RK, how ya doin'?
I wanted to ask you something a while ago, but I forget.
At any rate, right. The DL is connected to the BCM, which MAY have a connection to the ECM.

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Boy, am I glad that my newest vehicle is an '83...
JT
I'm doing great!
Thank you.
If anything is connected to the BCM, it will be in someway connected to the ECM. Through a Bus or a connector.
RK

Refinish King wrote:

yes, which is not the ecu!

The BCM is always communicating with the ECU!
RK

Hey, I can even _spell_ Thevenin

Maybe he reversed the polarity of the Bogon Flux ?
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:04:00 -0800, jim beam wrote:

I talked to him last night. He says he wants you to come out and tell him why his Pathfinder won't start after changing the dome light...

Anybody that says a short on a voltage line can't hurt an ECU has never worked on computers.....
--
Scott in Florida

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:21:29 +0000, Scott in Florida wrote:

He said there was a spark when he tried to remove the bulb. The bulb's glass was broken, and he tried to grab it without touching anything else, but there was a spark, and when he tried to start the truck...nothing.
He had it towed to a Nissan dealer. They're trying to find a used ECU and told him that before doing ANYTHING electrical with the truck he should...
disconnect the negative battery terminal...
(Next week he's removing the terminal and installing a Negative Terminal Shut-off...)
It could be a coincidence?
Maybe there is another problem.
RK

jim beam wrote:

That much is not true in all cases. Any care that has "theater fade" interior lights, for example, has them powered from a computer module (not necessarily the engine controller, but a "body controller" or some other computer module.)

And on all of THAT, I agree completely!
I personally have seen a bunch of blown ECU's caused by wiring shorts, mostly fuel pumps, but other things too.
Sure the ECU is 'protected' by a diode, but no one sells the damn diode to replace the blown one nor do many 'authorized' places exist to fix them. Half are sunk in a block of plastic also.
I have repaired a few by using a cheap diode with a +/- 10 to 15% tolerance so they fell close to the original specs. Close enough to work.
If the dome light is on a timer, it is connected to some kind of computer....
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Hachiroku ハチロク wrote: \

I don't buy it. ECUs are actually *very* well protected against intermittent faults, voltage spikes, etc. (Zener diodes are a wonderful thing). 99.9% of the "failed" ECUs people pull out of cars are actually fine and the problem lies elsewhere. There's no WAY you can hurt one just changing a light bulb.