Wierd Magnetic Fields?

Page 2 of 2
Elliot Richmond wrote:

The OP said he tried it outside of the car and it worked fine.

I'll stick with the magnetized body. Steel vehicles are problematic for compasses because they always introduce errors. Mostly the errors are not big enough to cause trouble for a driver. Aircraft pilots have to know the heading with precision but car drivers are happy with "kinda northeastish."
The problem is that when a car body is magnetized the compass is effectively inside a magnet. That will make the compass point in one general direction... in this case, ENE. How the car got that way and how to degauss it, I surely don't know.
Mike
On 8 Sep 2006 09:49:33 -0700, Zephyr wrote:

Nope...
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com

My guess is that the car body is magnetized. I used to work in aviation and would periodically see the problem in fabric covered planes that had steel tubing frames. We would try to compensate the compass and we wouldn't even get in the ballpark. (If the problem is electrical, you will see the compass jump when you turn things on and off.)
It is theoretically possible to degauss the car body - it's the practical part that gets in the way. The essense is to wrap the body with wire (the way you are probably already thinking, from the side over the top and down and around). The wire is connected to AC power - you'd want a few amps flowing - that is slowly decreased. I've never done it because it was beyond the authorization of our avionics/instrument shop. Whether you want a compass enough to pursue that is up to you.
Mike
Not so weird problem. I would guess there is two speakers in the dash(one on each side) and maybe one in the middle. Speakers have magnets .need I say more