Windshield replacement (should I get OEM glass?, how to determine a good shop)

Page 2 of 2
Doug McCrary wrote:

commercial use is WAY more strict. in california, commercial drivers arent allowed traffic school any more to get a point off their record, even if theyre driving their own personal vehicle. its THAT strict...

Getting farther OT... the CDLs where I work are shocked by new DUI provisions in the regulations. (I have no idea if it is a state or federal statute involved.) Now, if they get a DUI and have had another DUI in the last 55 years - like if they are 70 and had one when they were 16 - their CDL is permanently revoked and they have to find a new line of work. I have no patience for DUI, but that seems a little ex post facto to me in that whether a driver gets one or two strikes is tied to their record before the law was enacted. Of course, it is no different than "three strikes" laws in that respect.
Mike

forced by Federal regs. I know that is the case with the new "S" endorsement.

The best way to find out what the law requires is to read the law. Do a search of your legislated laws and regulations and then have a read.
Here any defect (stone chip, crack, etc.) that is in the line of sight of the driver is reason to repair or replace the windshield.

Asked for chapter and verse. No specific response.

Then the people to ask (in person or on the phone) would be a Vehicle Compliance Officer or Inspector. You can find those at a DOT Scale. They will (around here anyway) look up the pertinent section of the Act and photo copy it for a person.
Brian
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My experience with non-OEM glass is that it is as tough (or breakable) as OEM glass. There can be differences in quality however. I have seen non-OEM glass with a not well formed outer surface. As a consequence the windshield wiper misses one or more low spots in the glass. If it were me I would insist on OEM glass from the dealer.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the dealers in this little country town outsource all the glasswork. A dealer windshield IS an aftermarket piece. Never any problems, according to the Buick shop foreman.
snipped-for-privacy@cs.com says...

Another difference I noticed when I got a windshield replaced was that the OEM glass was thicker than the new windshield that was put in. Not sure if that makes any difference. ------------- Alex
says...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have had very good luck with aftermarket glass installed by local shops. No reason to pay Honda $$$$$ prices for it.
John
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The most important factor, by far, is how well the windshield is glued in place since there's far more variation with this than with the quality of the glass. If the windshield doesn't stay in place in a crash, not only will unbelted occupants be at greater risk of injury but also belted occupants can suffer since airbags, especially the passenger one, depend on the windshield to hold them in place.
A good installation requires taht the glass and window opening be very clean, gloves worn during installation to prevent skin oil from contaminating the surfaces, and the proper primer and urethane adhesive (made with different cure rates for different temperatures) be used. The current preferred practice is to remove all the old urethane from the window opening. Also the car should not be driven until at least twice the cure time has passed. When I replaced my own windshield, the adhesive required anywhere from 2-6 hours to cure. My windshield never leaked, unlike most of those done on company cars by a local chain of glass shops that advertised heavily and offered insurance deductible rebates and free restaurant dinners.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

It probably isn't OEM. I've had windshields replaced for as little as $125.

1/2 hr? They must be damn fast. I've watch windshields getting replaced and it takes longer than that to do the job right. Rushing means making a bigger mess that will take more time to clean up. Once the work is done, you can drive right away. It will take a day or so to fully cure, but that doesn't really affect the windshield unless you get caught in a storm. --------------- Alex
Doesn't your insurance cover windshield replacement? In Mass it does. MLD