Windshield wipers won't work

I have a 1991 Honda Civic and during my drive through the rain the windshield wipers ceased working. It seemed like they were trying to work (as if the motor that powers them was working) but the arms
wouldn't move across the windshield. Does anyone know what might be the problem and how I might be able to fix it? Thanks in advance!

It sounds as if you might need a new transmission (for the wipers). Usually it's not a big deal to change on most vehicles.
Mark333777 wrote:

Here's a link to a parts diagram for a '91 DX 4 door. http://tinyurl.com/pcn7s The actuating rods, parts 10 & 11, have teflon bushings at each end. It's possible that one of these bushings may have worn and come loose while operating the wipers. Since both wipers stopped simultaneously, then I would check the rod bushing at the wiper motor first. It's also possible that the wiper motor itself could have a problem. Check that the linkage at the wiper motor is intact and that nothing has come loose. There are also electrical checks that one could make to test if the wiper switch was at fault. If you have a volt meter, then you can check if the wiper motor is getting 12v when you turn the switch on for example. Note that a common problem with Honda's wiper system is worn bushings in the wiper pivots, parts 12 & 14. These can be tested by lifting the blade up off the windshield and trying to rock the pivot at the base back and forth as well as side to side. Although I've seen some pretty worn pivots, I've never seen any that prevent the wipers from working but it's not impossible. Usually, worn pivots prevent the blade from tracking the windshield correctly. By the way, you should also check to make sure that the pivot/arm attachment nuts, part 20, haven't come loose. Report back and let us know what you find.
Eric
Thanks guys... I'll let you know how it goes...