Wiper Trouble

1994 Civic VX. 212,xxx Mi.
When I engage the wipers for a quick pass or two, they tend to stop as soon as I release the switch. After a second or two, they go
back down the rest of the way.
Is this the result of normal wear? What can I do to correct this?
Michael Doyle wrote:

there's something called the "integrated control unit" that takes care of this. they're cheap and tend to die after heavy use. get a used one from a junk yard.