Yaris, Scion xD, Honda Fit - no water temp gauge

Page 3 of 6
<snipped>

Toyota did not equip any cars with shift lights.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Ray O wrote:

80s Corollas sure had them.
Add pictures here
✖

My memory must be getting bad... I don't remember shift lights in any 80's Corollas, or any Toyotas, at least while I worked for Toyota.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
✖
On Apr 22, 11:33 pm, "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote:

I don't know about your memory getting bad, because I have yet to see one either. Of course I didn't drive in the 80's, but have seen many an 80-up between working at home and being in the dealer for so long. It would be difficult to substantiate short of a well kept owner's manual or an actual model still up and running. They've been long gone from salty snowy MO for some time now.
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
✖

I don't know about your memory getting bad, because I have yet to see one either. Of course I didn't drive in the 80's, but have seen many an 80-up between working at home and being in the dealer for so long. It would be difficult to substantiate short of a well kept owner's manual or an actual model still up and running. They've been long gone from salty snowy MO for some time now.
Toyota MDT in MO
********** It's good to know that my memory wasn't THAT bad! An upshift light is something that would have been pointed out in the New Car Features, and since I am not a fan of such lights, I thought I would have remembered it. The poster must have been thinking about his VW or something.
Welcome back!
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
✖
Steve wrote:

LOL. Yeah, my truck has the "hey dummy, upshift light you're going to get an extra .25 mpg" and my TA is getting the "hey dummy, upshift because the rev limiter's gonna kick in and you're gonna blow the motor" light. (It's after I replace the shredded factory clutch.)
I forget that shift lights mean different things - when I say shift light I assume the latter one.
Ray
Add pictures here
✖

(Just saw this post over a week late...)
I'm sorry, but which Toyota would that be that has an annoying upshift light? Seems that's more of an 80's piece of crap domestic brand kind of thing.
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
✖

An interesting note to the "Godsend" GM shift light is that it was operated by the same circuit (and then slightly modified by vehicle speed rationality logic) as the torque converter lock up circuit used on automatic trans models. Sure miss *that* feature :-)
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
✖
Comboverfish wrote:

I forgot about that "shift light" - my truck has one... the upshift to save gas nag light. On my old Jimmy I just took the bulb out. On my current truck, where I like the steering wheel it just blocks it.
Ray
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 22:06:33 -0700, Comboverfish wrote:

Comboverfish!
Stop hanging around in r.a.t (hey, how about that!) and come back to us!!!
As for those lights, I had one in a Jetta, and got WORSE fuel economy using it!
Add pictures here
✖

I've got one in my Jeep. I set my steering wheel height so that I just do not see it at all. Tomes
Add pictures here
✖
Hachiroku wrote:

Hell... My ol' '83 Civic FE has a shift light that is controlled by tach speeds. I find it to be generally annoying..
JT
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Because, unlike a car, a refrigerator's refrigerant system is hermetically sealed. It CANNOT leak unless its physically punctured. Refrigerators don't fail by losing refrigerant, they fail when the compressor locks up or burns out.

That is without a doubt the STUPIDEST analogy I've ever read.
And if you really see a car as equivalent to an 'appliance,' then we've really got nothing to discuss anyway.
Add pictures here
✖

Ah, so it CAN leak. Wouldn't you want to know if that happened?
The point is, something could go wrong at any time, refrigerator or car. Wouldn't you want a gauge showing you at a moment's notice as the refrigerant is slowly leaking out, so that you don't end up with a warm fridge and spoiled food?
of COURSE that's abnormal. But then, so is the car overheating.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Unless most of the leaks ended up being at the gauge.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

The probability of a rock flying into the condesor coils underneath my fridge and causing a leak is astronomically low. The odds of a rock nicking a tube in my radiator is not nearly as low (lower if the car has A/C because the condensor would take the hit first....). Also there are about 4 to 9 pressurized rubber hoses and 8 to 18 hose clamps all waiting to leak on a car cooling system, not to mention fans that can fail, thermostats that get sticky, and radiator caps that quit holding pressure, etc. etc. And that's just the SUBTLE failures that will first show up by mild overheating, not the disasters like a burst hose or blown head gasket.

A fridge failing is FAR more abnormal (and less expensive when it does happen) than a car running hot.
Add pictures here
✖

True. But the probability of your $900 fridge being a cheap piece of Chinese junk and leaking coolant and ruining the food in your fridge is MUCH greater today than it ever has been.
Hence, it would be prudent to protect your food investment, if nothing else, by using such a gauge.

And modern refrigerators are Chinese junk made for the sole purpose of making the manufacturer money by appearing JUST ENOUGH to be an actual fridge. The details are different from the car, but the risk of failure is just as great.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Its more important to buy a good fridge, not a piece of crap from made in China. All it takes is a little awareness on the buyer's part. And the ability to read the data plate... but maybe literacy IS too much to ask these days.
Add pictures here
✖

You really don't understand how the world works, do you.
Yes, the car is an appliance--for 99.9% of the people out there. Yet you, somehow, think that your desire to have a temp gauge that behaves the way you want it means that it's a necessity.
Add pictures here
✖
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yes, I do. The manufacturers build for the majority of nitwits. I just don't necessarily LIKE the way the world works....

Actually, >>I<< never said that it would stop me from buying a car at all. Its trivial to add a gauge if its important to you (and it SHOULD be, but I digress again.) On the other hand, when I see that a manufacturer took the time to put in a gauge, it makes me think hjust a little more highly of the competence of the engineers who stood their ground against the air-headed right-brain type stylists, marketing lizards, and bean-counters.
Add pictures here
✖