'00 Accent Door Handle

The driver's side door handle on my son's 2000 Accent has broken. I know from reading this group that this is a common problem. It this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to the dealer?

Screwtape III wrote:

will teach you all you need to know about removing the broken part from your son's car. While you're there see if there are any other useful parts that you can scrounge (pedal covers, visors, screws, trim bits, etc.).
Step 2 - Pay the man at the counter the $5 or so for the parts, much less than it would cost you through Hyundai.
Step 3 - Go home and install the parts on your son's car.
Prowling a junkyard can be a good father/son bonding experience. It's like hunting...with tools instead of a gun.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Sounds like a good idea but all the yards around here are closed on Saturdays.
I wonder if any will be open this Friday? It certainly wouldn't hurt for me to check.
Screwtape III wrote:

Really? That's the busiest day of the week at yards around here, as it's when all the DIY types do their "hunting".

Regardless, happy hunting!
Well, this is my third try at posting this. The deal with accepting posts and then not posting them is becoming aggravating.
If it's the inside handle, remove the screw, pull the handle loose, and remove the rods from the handle.
If it's the outside handle, you'll need to be comfortable with removing the door trim panel.
hyundaitech wrote:

I've never had any trouble. What newsreader or service are you using?
I'm using www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.hyundai
hyundaitech wrote:

Have you considered configuring your email/newsreader program for direct newsgroup access or is that not an option? It's pretty simple to do. About all you need to know is the name of your ISPs news server. It's typically something like "news.verizon.net"
If you have to access newsgroups via the web, try Google Groups. Just go to Google.com, click on "Groups" in the top menu, search for "Hyundai", then select "alt.autos.hyundai".
Thanks, Brian. I've looked at it. I don't see any way to see my recent posts, which is a feature talkabout provides. I use it to help me decide when to stop watching threads. When a thread moves of my recent posts list, I stop looking at it. For right now, I'm thinking about it, but it's more likely I'll continue with doing what I'm doing and then whine about it. :-) If you know how I can access a recent posts feature on google, then I'll probably move pretty quickly. Thanks again.
hyundaitech wrote:

(Mozilla Thunderbird) for direct usenet access. With Thunderbird, you have the option of how you want to view posts (I find threaded most useful) and you can specify to show only threads with unread posts. You can "kill" any thread that you're not interested in with a single keystroke. There are a lot of higher level functions that I don't need or use, so I can't tell you what else is possible, but it may be worth a look. The software is free, so you don't have to make any investment. There are also many free "extensions" that add specific capabilities. I'd be willing to bet that you can configure it to do just about anything you want. You can get it at: www.mozilla.org