00' Sonata check engine light

Recently I had a local shop read the codes from my car. They advised me that based on the series of codes downloaded I would need to replace both O2 sensors with an upgraded part number. Also because of the new sensor part number the computer software would need to be upgraded. My next step is taking the car to a Hyundai dealer to confirm this but had a couple questions to throw out here.

  1. Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. Can I fix this problem myself?
Reply to
jhilt
  1. This is a common issue. If your sensors are indeed unupdated, then there should be a recall open on your vehicle. Call your local Hyundai dealer with your vin and have them check for recalls. If recall V01 is open, have that done first prior to attempting any additional repairs for oxygen sensor codes. It includes replacing the front oxygen sensors (if required) and reprogramming your ECM.

  1. You can replace the front oxygen sensors yourself if you have a fair amount of tooling. They're difficult to get to. I use two swivels, an oxygen sensor socket, a very long extension, and a ratchet. If you don't have these items or something else which will allow you to get onto these sensors easily, you will curse this vehicle. The reprogramming should either already be done or be free (under recall), but you won't be able to do it yourself. Only a dealer will be able to do it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks hyundaitech. I called a dealer and they told me the V01 recall had been performed. Turns out a dealer I brought the car to for service did it about a year ago. So I called this dealer and they told me that the ECM was reprogrammed but no sensors relaced. Does this make sense? I went to the hmaservice web site and all the TSB's on this recall call out part replacement in some form or another. What do you think? Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
jhilt

Unless the new website

provides the campaign details to the general public that it didn't before, you don't have access to the latest version of the recall bulletin.

In a nutshell, Hyundai has determined for each specific vin whether any of the oxygen sensors need to be replaced and the dealer can only be paid for doing the repair prescribed by Hyundai. The basis for their decision was whether the vehicle was manufactured with the updated oxygen sensors or whether either of the upstream sensors was replaced.

If the recall has been performed, you're pretty much on your own for this repair unless the vehicle is still within the 5/60 warranty period.

Reply to
hyundaitech

From the hmaservice web site I was able to get TSB 03-01-011-2 which is in the recall bulletin group. It is dated 01-2004. I stand corrected in my statment about the sensors needing replacement no matter what. Closer review of this document showed a breakdown of level of repair. V01

31B043R3 states reprogramming only needed. I pulled the service report from the dealer and they document just that. (not sure how level of repair is determined. I would think an internal database using VIN) OK. From this I agree with you, I'm on my own. So could I ask for your help one more time? These are the codes I have.... P1134, P0153, P1154. It looks like trouble with B1S1 & B2S1. Should I replace both of these? If I do whats the best way to reset the codes? Thanks again for your expertise.
Reply to
jhilt

These codes pretty much all indicate a slow response rate. If you have no exhaust leaks, you should replace both upstream sensors, p/n 39210-3712A on the firewall side and 39210-3716A on the radiator side. The best way to reset the codes is by using a code reader (if it has that capability) or a scan tool. If not, you can probably do it by disconnecting the battery.

Reply to
hyundaitech

All the code readers I've seen have a reset button. I have the $150 one from Innova/Equus, and it does indeed read out the Hyundai's #1134 code (yeah; I've got an oxygen sensor in my future, too). The other brand I tried also read out the same code. The Innova code reader seems to be on sale with rebate all the time at Kragen (and affiliated stores), so at this point, I'd say that the regular price there is really $100.

Now, I'm not about to try out the reset button. It's tempting, but Hyundai's drive cycles are shrouded in secrecy -- I've got no idea how many days/weeks/months/years it will take to accumulate the data to satisfy the monitors (test programs in the car's computer). I need to be really patient; after the repair, it'll take a certain number of starts before the computer is satisfied -- in other words, satisfied that all the test cycles have been completed enough. Resetting the dash light also resets all the monitors: whoosh! They're all zeroed. And if you've got a smog test due at DMV within three days, well...

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

If you've got a code stored, that won't pass the OBD test either, so you've got to choose wisely.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Well, I purchased the sensors & cut-away socket. I installed them yesterday. Not as bad of a job as I was expecting. Only took me 40min. Most of the time was removing stuff to get good access. Don't really have the cash to invest in a code reader so I opted for the "disconnect the battery" method. This all started because I failed the states emisions test. I have 60 days from the initial test to get repair done. So I'll drive the car a couple weeks to make sure the computer is reset and everything is ok. Oh in case your wondering...the lights out. This web site(and the people involved)is a great tool I'm sure I'll be in need of assistence again some time down the road. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to
jhilt