01 Hyundai Tiburon 'check engine light'

I have a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon and it has run fine since I've had it. A couple days ago the check engine light came on however when I put it into drive. It was shaky to start off and is now ruff when it idles..
any idea what's wrong?
Reply to message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Sat, 17 Mar 2007 20:54:36) about "01 Hyundai Tiburon 'check engine light'":
s> I have a 2001 Hyundai Tiburon and it has run fine since I've had it. A s> couple days ago the check engine light came on however when I put it s> into drive. It was shaky to start off and is now ruff when it idles.. s> any idea what's wrong?
Did you fill up with gas just before the light started coming on?
If there was no prior warning signs of anything going wrong then the gas cap seal is often the culprit.
Best Regards
Wayne you fixed it...now can read!
about "Re: 01 Hyundai Tiburon 'check engine light'":
D> Wayne you fixed it...now can read!
I changed the encoding twice this weekend, so I am not sure about the final solution to your problem.
I am now using 8-bit Western European (Windows) - can you still read this post ?
Best Regards
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:26:48 -0500

Nope :-)
Eric
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:01:27 -0500, Wayne Moses

**Looks fine from here.
kaboomie
Reply to message from snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com (kaboom) (Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:47:03) about "Re: Unreadable posts":
k> **Looks fine from here.
Thanks.
Best Regards
Since it's running rough, I'd suspect a misfire. To find out for sure, you'll need to have the engine and transmission diagnostic trouble codes read. AutoZone and AAMCO have advertised they'll do this for free. If you report back with the codes, I'll tell you what they mean.

Wouldn't the check engine light blink if it was misfiring?
Len
Whether the check engine lamp flashes depends on the severity of the misfire. A flashing check engine lamp means that catalyst damage is likely after continued driving.
While it's true that a flashing check engine lamp implies a misfire, the converse (i.e. a misfire implies a flashing check engine lamp) is not true.