'01 Sonata: Brakes and Rotors

I was getting my tires rotated today (2001 Sonata with 50,000 miles) and the auto shop told me that my front brake pads have only about 10% left and needed to be replaced very soon.
They quoted me a price that included replacing the front pads and rotors. I asked why the rotors had to be replaced and was told that it is always a good idea to do both at the same time.
As this is my first car, and as I know absolutely nothing about automobiles, I have a few questions:
(1) Is it normal to replace the front brake pads after 50,000 miles? (2) Should rotors be replaced with the pads? If not, when should the rotors be replaced?
Thanks, Mike

Yes. In my personal experience, 50,000 miles out of front brake pads is very good life. I have changed them as early as 25,000 miles on a few cars I have owned.

This is a tough one to answer because it is an individual preference. I usually remove the rotors and have them machined if they need it (deep grooves), or just use emory paper on them by hand to remove the glazing. Most shops nowadays do recommend to replace the rotors because they are fairly cheap to get the rotors and they can charge a decent markup on them and the labor. If they are in really bad shape, it might be worth replacing them anyway. But without seeing them I couldn't tell you which way I would go.
Eric
Mike Gordon wrote:

It depends on your driving habits, but 50,000 is pretty good for anything other than a lot of freeway driving.

I don't subscribe to this, but many do. The rotors can be ground, but often this costs as much as new rotors. However, I've replaced many a set of brake pads on existing rotors with no problem. It is a good idea to rough up the rotor with course sand paper to break the glaze and then properly break in the new pads.
However, I certainly won't say it is wrong to replace the rotors, as I haven't seen yours and they may be badly scored, pitted, rusted, etc.
Matt

pads might be ceramic, in which case you should expect better life. I never do anything to my rotors unless they tell me there is something wrong. If there is no shimmy or odd noises or pulsation when braking your rotors are just fine and someone is trying to get a little extra money out of you. If the rotors are in need of service, just replace them. I've found that a resurfaced rotor will need to be replaced very quickly.
Dan
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:50:14 -0600, "DanK"

Seldom replace rotors unless very badly grooved. On one hand it's a simple job to replace the pads now for under $30 in parts. On the other the mechanic will get $60 for the pads + labor + 2xwhatever the rotors cost and more labor to change them. Assuming they drop over the studs from the outside as the picture in HMA service shows you can do the rotors yourself too. OTOH maybe you like spending $600 for a brake job. ;-)
No way will I ever replace rotors unless they are absolutely necessary. Resurfacing them yes, unless they are very smooth. Pads yes, original always! I'm guessing Midas is where you got an estimate?? EVERytime I have gone there for an estimate, it never fails that they always find them under the manufactures specs! &^%&^%$!!! yeah, right.. :)
IMHO..