02 Elantra GT 5-speed clutch question - sticky clutch

Hi all -

My 02 Elantra GT has around 75000 miles on it, and since June I have been driving around 400 miles a week to my new job (80 miles round-trip, mostly 2-lane highway). Stock except for K&N air filter, all maintenance up-to-date (water pump, timing belt changed per specs, new tires and battery 2 weeks ago).

Lately, I've noticed a bit more difficulty shifting into various gears, and I have also noticed what some would call 'stiction' in the clutch pedal (kind of a resistance like you would get on the head shocks of a motorcycle or mountain bike suspension fork with pneumatic tubes). Nothing too alarming, and certainly no issues shifting that would cause me to suspect a transmission problem, but I would like the community's opinion on the sticky clutch. Something to worry about?

Thanks -

MM

Reply to
mwmosser

Do you know if your clutch is cable actuated or hydraulically actuated?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I believe it is hydraulically actuated, but I only have that on memory, not actual fact.

Anyone got a definite answer?

thanks.

Matt Whit> > Hi all -

Reply to
mwmosser

my '01 elantra is hydraulic, (I'm certain, because hyundaitech guided me through changing the master cylinder)

have you changed the oil in the transaxle? fairly simple to do yourself. not sure if it could be the root of your difficulty, but couldn't hurt if it hasn't been done.

Reply to
Andre

Haven't changed the oil in the transaxle, was definitely on my list of to-dos when the weather warms up enough to work in an unheated garage. Any good instructions on how to do it besides what is in the manual that came with the car?

thanks.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
mwmosser

It's a easy job. The only thing that's critical is that you use the correct oil, which is GL-4. I've had good luck with Redline MT-90 synthetic. DO NOT use GL-5 oil (the most commonly available type in stores) in an Elantra transmission, it will ruin the synchronizers!

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Good advice, and the reason to continue reading these groups. Thanks, and I'll let you know how it turns out when I change the transaxle oil.

Brian Nystrom wrote:

Reply to
mwmosser