02 Elantra Spark Plugs

Page 2 of 3  


No cupping problems here after 26k miles on my wife's 01 Elantra GLS. I recently swapped out the MXV4 Michelins for a set of Kumho ECSTA HP4 716s mainly because the Michelins were dreadful in the wet. The Kumhos are much better than the Michelins, especially in the wet, plus they're much quieter on the highway.
FWIW, I rotate the tires every 5k miles and I end up getting a 4 wheel alignment about every 10-12k miles mostly because the roads here in metro Boston are in such bad shape.
--
toneguru_uk at yahoo dot com

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I've been here since about late 02... Maybe you guys just came in too late. Once I hit about 30 to 35K miles on the Michellins, I started noticing the vibrations..... by then, it was too late to save em... I just drove the massage machine until I got tired of it, and then bought better rain tires that were 1/2 the price of the MX4s. The misconception, though, is that these tires wear out quickly and are poorly made. Unfortunately, that's just simply not true. They hydroplane on water and don't stick to wet pavement worth a darn, but they stick like razors on the dry stuff.
On other small cars you can expect 90,000+ miles. I got that out of one set on a Saturn SL2, even when I was racing back and forth from Knoxville TN to Chillicothe OH and back every weekend. I could go door to door in under 4 hours. That's 326 miles per MSN Maps..... about 1/3 of the trip is tight, twisty 2-lane backroads ... that might give you an idea of how hard I ran those tires..... They started to drift rather predictably, so it was easy to push them to the edge, and the speed limiter on the Saturn kicked in at 117.... Over 1/2 of the 90,000 miles I got out of that set was at high speed and hard cornering... They DO last a long time... just not on an Elantra. It's not the tires that are the problem.
--
- Steve

"jc" <toneguru snipped-for-privacy@see-sig.invalid> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I've been lurking here, trying to get anecdotal information regarding the Elantra, since before we bought the 2001 GLS. Yours is the first post I've seen referring to cupping.
A google search of alt.autos.hyundai shows that you are the only one who has complained of this problem.
Also, I researched the entire Elantra archive at hyundau-forums.com and there are exactly zero references to this problem.
--
toneguru_uk at yahoo dot com

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Well, ok, but I was pretty involved in some of the threads... that was about the time my vibration started... I'm not making it up... swear... you guys can tell me it's not so..... but I was young in the 60s.... don't think it was a flashback.....
--
- Steve

"jc" <toneguru snipped-for-privacy@see-sig.invalid> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Blue Flash wrote:

I don't think anyone here is disputing that you had problems with your tires cupping. It would be pretty stupid to argue that. The issue is whether it's a common problem, possibly caused by a design flaw. The lack of other cupping complaints indicates that's probably not the case.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
True... since you weren't involved in the other problems, they didn't exist. Must be those drugs I didn't do in the 60's that makes me remember the people that I didn't discuss it with that obviously didn't have the problem.... I work with two people with the same problem, and discussed it with a number of others here. I'm sorry, next time we'll make sure we hunt you down ....
Whatever you do, always assume that you're ignorance of information is proof that it doesn't exist...
Have a nice day... I have better things to do than waste my time trying to explain these things to a self-proclaimed orb of knowledge...
--
- Steve

"Brian Nystrom" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If there was a thread about Elantra tire problems in this newsgroup a Google search would have revealed it. But it didn't because there was none. If the alleged design flaw was as widespread as you claim it would have had at least *some* mention at hyundai-forums.com. But it did not.

Oh, come on, Brian didn't say anything out of line. If you could substantiate what you claim there would be no problem. I did my Google search not to discredit you but to find out to what degree the problem actually exists because I don't want my wife driving a fundamentally flawed vehicle back and forth to work.
As I said before, I could not find anything in the archives of this newsgroup or at hyundai-forums.com referring to abnormal tire wear on any Hyundai.
--
toneguru_uk at yahoo dot com

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Sorry you couldn't find it. It's been a while. I'm sure the archived have been purged since then.... most NGs only keep archives for a year or 2.... it's been 3. You also said (I believe) that you only had about 20K? on the tires. I'd like to see a progress post at 40K if you would. Tires that go 90K miles without a hitch on other cars, but only 1/2 that on a Hyundai does not indicate a bad tire.... hence, sounds like a car problem. I'm sure Tina will be really excited to hear that she really didn't have the flat spots on her tires at 35K, and that she really didn't have to replace the tires.

So I take it you didn't see the initial post either. Brian kept trying to answer a different question that I asked, and when I repeatedly noted that my question was regarding information on Autolites and bad plugs... etc.... In my first or second post, I said that I had put the new plugs in, it didn't run... old ones back in, it ran. replaced one at a time with the Autolites, it backfired / sputtered after only two.... used two different autolites, same result. It took umteen dozen posts of him telling me what plugs to buy and where to get them.... (WRONG QUESTION)... and even after repeatedly noting that I was well aware of how to make the car right and noting that I was perfectly aware that NGK made new plugs, he refused to accept that the answer to the only question he seemed to know was some how.... the answer to the wrong question. However, he managed to tap his intellectual power to finally suggest that I do what I said I did right up front...
By the way, when I went to get plugs, I believe you mentioned Bosch plugs, and when I saw they were available, I went with them.... of course, that's after NGK was a "special order" and NDs weren't even on the list. You got in late, and with Brian trying to sell me plugs, I'm sure that's what you would have thought it was about. It wasn't. I appreciate you trying to help. However, if you ask what the torque specs are on the head bolt for the Hyundai, and I took off on a tear insisting that you buy XYZ head gasket over and over.... arguing with anything you say until you realized that you don't know what your questions is...... would that eventually become irritating? As I told Brian several times.... I guess then the answer to my question is "No, you don't know of any systemic problems with the autolite plugs"..... (that's not a quote from a previous post... but if you look you'll see it). I was fine with that, but he seemed to be determined that somehow I was going to learn something from his limitless inventory of irrelevant knowledge...
It's pretty rare that a NG keeps archives for more than a couple years. I'm sure by now that those issues have been purged. Since I couldn't get any reasonable answers to my questions, I dropped out of the NG for quite a while. I'm sure a lot of others got frustrated as well and bugged out, looking for a better source.

I'm not surprised, (see above re: archiving) but you weren't there. Brian (according to his first comment) wasn't there either. Of course, after I noted the time frame that I got the info, Brian went back in time and added another year to his time on the NG. Convenient... However, as I also noted in a previous post.... I DON'T NEED HELP ON THE TIRE ISSUE. It's the way it is, and if I find a solution, then I'll be glad to share... of course since it's really not a problem, then maybe I won't. However, I greatly appreciate you two going to such great extremes to let me know that the money spent and experiences I've had were really just trips to the twilight zone.
It appears from your posts that you are trying to help, and I appreciate that. I only mentioned the tire issue in passing, thinking since there HAD been so much info flying around a few years ago that it was fairly common knowledge. Brian's tires hadn't cupped either... of course, he doen't have many miles on them either, or is he the one that replaced them at 10K?? hmmm... You are at least trying to only provide info that you can back up, and I appreciate it.
As I may have implied before, I haven't posted to this NG in quite a while. This is probably my first post in over a year. As I recall from before, we had a good group of people that really were trying to help each other resolve issues, share info, etc. I miss that. Hyundaitech is a really good source of info, and adds a lot to the group. However, I guess I'll just have to ignore the bogus posts from now on if I resort to asking a question again, but right now that looks like an unlikely scenario.
Soap box back in the closet.... pressure vented to atmospheric..... Blue Flash exits the NG in search of a better source of info....

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

have
I believe that Google archive all postings and don't purge. Perhaps if you'd take the time to provide evidence of the tire issues rather than rant at people who say they can't find any evidence, you'd live a little longer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Blue Flash wrote:
<ridiculous rant snipped>
Your revision of the history of this thread isn't fooling anyone. As for this nonsense about me having gone "back in time and added another year to his time on the NG", are you completely delusional or something? Get a grip.
No one is currently complaining about cupped tires except you. Even if a problem did exist years ago (note that I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here), it's apparently no longer a problem, for whatever reason. Can you understand that?
It's completely irrational to take a few anecdotal complaints (again I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt) and assume that there's a systemic problem spanning several model years including the current one, especially in the absence of any current complaints.
Tire wear reports have to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt, since tire wear is EXTREMELY dependent on driving habits and maintenance. Wear reports without context are worthless.
As for the plugs, you say the Autolites didn't work. Fine. No one here has disputed that assertion. People here recommended other brands that are known to work well, you chose one and the problem is solved. Fine again. By now it should be obvious that no one here is able to give you an explanation. If you want answers, take it up with Autolite.
It sounds like you've got bigger issues in your life than plugs that don't work and cupped tires. For your sake, I hope you resolve them, too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
--
- Steve

"Brian Nystrom" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If you take the car into the dealer, they should be able to put it back into spec so that it'll cup the tires. They might even do it under warranty. :-) I just casually mentioned the tire problem. I'm really not looking for any help there, but thanks anyway. To me it's like an old British motorcycle.... you just learn to live with the oil leaks.
If you haven't heard about the cupping problem, then I guess you might just not have been paying close attention... or it just wasn't a concern to you.... The claim was often that it was an "inherent" problem with independent rear suspension systems. Hence, I don't rely too much on "concensus" opinions... It's all physics. I can deal with that... Give them another 5 to 10 thousand miles and pay close attention.... the vibration will slowly creep in, and when it does, it's really too late. You can run 32, 34 psi in the tires... whatever... it really won't matter. You should start to notice it first under braking. Watch closely on the inside edges. That's where the flat spots will start...
--
- Steve

"Brian Nystrom" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jody wrote: > I've had good luck so far with the bosch.

I've had good luck with Bosch plugs and wires in general, but these days they seem to be more about hype than substance when it comes to their plugs. Really, how many electrodes does a spark plug need? One does the job just fine.
I've heard conflicting reports about Bosch plugs in the Elantra, but I haven't tried them. When my stock plugs are shot, I'll install NGK V-Power copper plugs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
im with u on that one, one electrode is enough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The bottom line is that the Autolites don't work, so why stress over it? Unless you damaged a plug wire during the plug change or something, the reason is irrellevent. Get new Champions or NGKs and get the car back on the road.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks for the great advice... sounds like what I said (see previous posts). If I had damaged a plug wire, the Old Champions wouldn't work either.
The bottom line is.... that wasn't my question.... was looking for some similar experiences and see if anybody had figured out what was up. If you have an answer to the question, that would be cool.... but I really wasn't thinking of salvaging the car for a set of bad plugs. I'm not the kind of guy that gets great pleasure out of giving money away for parts that don't work.... just wanted to know if anybody had any later info on the autolites, if this is a relatively common issue, etc. It's the principle.... Like I said in the previous post, it sounds like you haven't heard of this happening before.... That answer will suffice.
20 years in physics & engineering has taught me that, if there is a problem, it's best to try and see if you can get to the bottom of the problem before you fix it and recreate the problem again.... If the answers I've gotten here are a reflection on reality, then it must be a fluke.... I may just be the rare individual that bought 4 bad plugs. If you'll stop trying to sell me NGKs, I might go get some... otherwise, just out of spite, I'll by NDs! (hehhe ... just pickin on ya.... ) The answer was obvious from the beginning that I would need new plugs.... but as a physicist, I was looking for the "why" part of the equation.
--
- Steve

"Brian Nystrom" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
i wish we had a elantra gt =)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yeah, yeah.... :-) Actually, I've pretty much resigned myself to the car eating tires.... but until this plug problem, it really has been pretty good to me, but my bike is becoming more my main transportation now.... more hp and only 500 lbs. Of course, maintenance will kill ya on a decent sport bike unless you do it all yourself... tires are only good for about 5K.... but it's SO much more fun to ride.... waterproof riding suits help.
By the way, the local parts store would be delighted to "special order" some NGK plugs for me... fortunately, they did have some Bosch plugs... they're working fine...
--
- Steve

"Jody" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Blue Flash wrote:

That's good to hear. I was somewhat skeptical of the reports I've heard about problems with Bosch plugs in the Elantra.
Apparently the Autolites are a mismatch. Perhaps they just don't make the exact plug needed for the Elantra and tried to substitute something "close". I guess it's not close enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Could be..... I was hoping somebody could confirm that.... Then again, I could be the only guy that ever got garbage plugs like that... COULD happen... Still, I don't like spending money at Wally World anyway, and I certainly don't like just donating it to them.... I was just looking for some concrete info as to what might be the issue. Just may not be enough of a problem to show itself much.
--
- Steve

"Brian Nystrom" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.