03 accent twin cam head

I bought a 03 accent twin cam head from the junk yard for some cam software testing I have been doing. I have a couple questions. (I knew the head was trashed when I bought it)

1.) all the intake valves were bent.

I presume this to have been caused from the timing belt breaking. I thought its more typical for the exhaust valves to get bent when a timing belt breaks.

Is there another common reason these may have been bent ? Are the intake valves getting bent more typical when the timing belt breaks on these engines ?

2.) The valve keepers sit way down inside the head how do you deal with that ?

I used a tube between the valve spring compressor and the retainer to allow me to take the valves out of the head. There was very little space to fish the keepers out with a magnet. I was wondering how to get the keepers back in place. Is there a trick to that or a special tool ?

It was hard enough for me to get the keepers back in with the soft springs I use for testing, and those don't require the use of a spring compressor.

fortunately I don't really have to put this head back together, but it would be nice to know if I ever changed my mind.

I would add that it seemed like a very nicely designed head.

thanks, DaveV

Reply to
Dave
  1. I'm really not sure which valves tend to bend. I don't think I've seen this happen on the Accent's DOHC yet. But you can be sure that it happened because the pistons hit the valves, most likely due to a timing belt failure.

  1. You should be able to purchase a little adaptor extension for your valve spring compressor. I usually put the keepers in place by magnetizing a small screwdriver. Even so, it's still tight.

There's another tool-- not sure what it's called-- that is made for head-on-car service. It comes as two pieces. The first is a cylinder closed at one end and open at the other, with an annular magnet in the open end. The second is another cylinder, with a spring loaded plunger in it. The tool is designed to be used as follows:

- To remove valve keepers: With compressed air in the cylinder, place the first part on top of the valve spring and strike the tool with a hammer. The valve keepers should pop out into the magnet.

- To install valve keepers: Place the second piece in the hole in the first part. Place the spring on the valve and set the keepers in place. Now, place the tool assembly with the second part on top of the valve stem and strike the first part. As the valve spring is compressed, the spring loaded plunger will snap the keepers in place.

This tool is too large to remove the keepers, but it would probably do a decent job of installing the keepers as long as you had something to block the valve closed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank you

the magnetic screwdriver trick should work

Reply to
Dave