'03 Accent valve cover woes

So, my 2003 Accent has a plastic valve cover. It seemed like the gasket around the valve cover was leaking, so I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. When I was putting the cover back on again, I first made all
the bolts semi-tight, then I began to torque them down, working from the middle to the outside. They only needed to be tightened to 6-7 ft-lbs. But, it cracked when I was torquing down the first one (with a torque wrench).
I mean, I think I did everything right. I guess plastic that's been heat- cycled on an engine for 13 years gets brittle after awhile. I ended up getting a $80 replacement on Amazon, and it's all together again. I feel a little displeased at the cheapness of this car's design I guess. But what can you expect from an inexpensive car?
Anyway, just for everyone's information.
--
email: remove 'SPACE' and '.invalid'

On 5/8/2016 8:14 PM, casualfred wrote:

I think you nailed it. Most people don't keep a car for 13 years so they never run into that problem. Though in my younger days I drove many 13 year old cars.
Good to hear you are still going strong with it. Hope you get many more years from it.
casualfred wrote:

Unfortunately it's no different from most of the rest of them. Does this engine have a plastic intake manifold, too?
On Sun, 08 May 2016 21:10:25 -0500, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

At least for this 2003 Accent, the intake manifold is metal. I didn't know it was possible for that to also be plastic!
--
email: remove 'SPACE' and '.invalid'

On 09 May 2016 00:14:07 GMT, casualfred

Good to know. Like you said, at least the car was inexpensive AND 16 years old too! So it was good enough to last that long, can't be all bad.