03 egt radio back lit wonky

Hell all,
Have an 03 elantra gt and when I turn on the headlights, the light in the radio goes off so I can't see the display - what station,volume, track is
playing!
I noticed a few times before at night when I would be driving in the evening the backlit would go off and then go on... no obvious rhyme or reason.
Took it in a few weeks ago to have the dash clock replaced (it kept resetting), not uncommon I was told, mentioned the backlit, Hyundai tech couldn't see a prob.
But just recently I noticed when I drive in the evening as soon as I turn the headlights on/off it causes the radio backlit to turn off/on.
Anyone have similar instances?
Also is window tape an issue with people?
I have been waiting to have mine replaced since I bought it on a few windows and the service rep says they are waiting for hyundai to supply better quality tape.
J.
I worked on an XG with a similar problem with the climate control. It turned out the problem was with noise from poor contact in the illumination rheostat.
If your radio electronically reads the rheostat electronically and reacts, then the problem could be in the rheostat or the radio. If, on the other hand, the rheostat simply regulates on its own the voltage to the radio illumination, then the problem is almost certainly within the radio. If I couldn't duplicate the condition and was forced to guess, I'd replace the radio first.
The window tape is a well known issue. There's a technical service bulletin listing part numbers, etc. I've not had any problem getting tapes for windows, but haven't actually installed or replaced any. We have a body shop, so they do that sort of stuff. My personal opinion is that the service rep fed you a load of crap on this one. Try to get yourself an account on www.hmaservice.com and look up the bulletin. It's in the trim section.