03 Elantra (brakes)

This post is for my uncle's 2003 Elantra (50,000 miles). Last time he went in for his oil change at Midas auto store, they checked his brakes and said that he has 40% more wear until he would need new brakes. Well, he recently noticed that his brake pedal has dropped significantly. When I drove the car, I feel the brakes are ok as in the sense that they do stop the car and there is no noise of rubbing or scraping. I am no mechanic but I do know that the pedal is not where it is suppose to be. It almost touches the floor when you apply the brakes. He is planning to bring his car in tomorrow at Midas again for his oil change and have them recheck the brakes. Does anyone have a clue as to might be the culprit. I been doing some research and I had found that it can be a master cylinder problem (is this under warranty?) or air in the brake lines. Who knows. I just am worried for him because he is on a limited income (disabled and retired). Thanks group.

Reply to
sonata32

Those are the two most likely culprits, though with only 50K miles on the car, I would suspect that the brakes just need to be bled. The car is still under warranty, so why don't you have a dealer look at it?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I'd guess that the rear shoes may need adjustment. If they're too far from the drum, the initial pedal travel is spent just moving them up to the drum.

Reply to
hyundaitech