'03 Santa Fe: Recommend replacing water pump at 60k miles if not original owner?

They are charging a lot for the pump.... think it should be replaced at 60 k miles? I am not the original owner. I have heard some say that a new
timing belt (some vehicles) strains the bearnings in the water pump and it is good to replace it. Thoughts, anyone? Thx,
"KWW" <kirk.walker ahyt aircooled doht neyt> wrote in message

Comes down to cost. The labor to replace the pump is essentially "free" when they do the timing belt. If you think the pump is going to last to 120k miles, don't bother. If you think it may go in another 10 or 20 thousand and don't want to pay the same labor charges again, get it done now. Personally I'd get it done and have peace of mind, but YMMV.
Conversely, if you skip it and have to get it done in 30,000 miles, it may pay to have the timing belt replaced at that time. Either way, its a "gotcha"
I went ahead and replaced my water pump while the timing belt was out. This was NOT one of Hyundai's better designs. The pump has to fit up under a cam sprocket cover that overlaps by about 2 or 3 mm, but the maneuvering required to do this causes the metal "gasket" to slip off. It took a couple of hours as a result. At least it is done... and they parts guy have me a good price break on the parts this time.