03 Tiburon question - starter?

I have had the worst luck with my 03 Tiburon ever since I bought it. I bought it pre-owned and discovered that the warranty doesn't cover much. I had to replace the clutch and flywheel shortly after purchase. I went with aftermarket parts. 2 months later I had to replace the transmission due to damage from the original clutch failure. Now the car will not crank once again, to me and others who have heard the car it sounds like the starter... but after going through 3 different starters from Advance and AutoZone but the problem persist. One you turn the ignition it sounds like the engine wants to turn over but the bendix drive is not catching the flywheel.. I am out of options and forced to once again tow this car back to the dealership. Any ideas on what could be wrong before I shell out more money with the dealer? Thanks.

Reply to
Dean

to read the law suite abot the cluth problem you had and the startersome parts has to be oem parts to work i would get one from napa i hadtrouble with parts from autozone and advance napas are better parts

Reply to
jimmyh

I have one of those Auto Zone starters on my Elantra I have changed it 4 times. One thing, MAKE sure the battery cables are tight I had to shim the post straps Have someone check for 12 Volts on the solinoid (small wire) when you try & start it

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

what do people have with going to the dealer and getting the work done once and proper. the only person who works on my Santa Fe is my dealer no one else. No problem, best prices.

Reply to
Finn

Many dealers do a great job and are a good place to take your car. Dealers are almost always the most expensive alternative though. Equally, there are many more good, knowledgeable and reliable independents in any given area than there are good dealer shops and they are significantly cheaper. Finally, there is a world of us who do our own repairs - the cheapest of all alternatives. Most of us fix it right the first time too.

Even dealers suffer from "bugs" that elude a quick and proper repair. It's not a function of buying aftermarket parts or using other than dealer service techs. The aftermarket is a very advanced part of the automotive parts supply chain, many times offering parts that are superior in every way to the OEM parts.

So, in answer to your question - there are many reasons not to go to the dealer. For those who take a confidence in the dealer, then great - go there. For others, there's a ton of very valid reasons not to go to the dealer.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

my dealer charges less / hour than most of the local garages,

Reply to
Finn

I find that impossible to believe. Where is your dealer located and what is his flat rate?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Montreal,

Going for an oil change next week will get the exact $/Hour

Reply to
Finn

We own an Acura, a Toyota and a Hyundai. The dealers in my area either charge the same or less than several independants.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:

1cb74$44808bd9$45289739$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...
Reply to
Ghislain

I'm certain you will find the flat rate to be much higher than local garages.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Maybe custom shops, but it's extremely difficult to believe a dealer with all of his overhead is cheaper than a standard independent garage. What are the rates for your Acura, Toyota and Hyundai dealers? What part of the country are you in?

At most dealerships, the body shop rate is nearly equal to the shop rate of a good independent garage. The service floor is typically twice the body shop rate.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In my area they are also nearly identical.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

All dealers charge between $74 and $79/hour (and the Acura dealer is not more expensive that the Hyundai dealer). The independant shops in my area charge $79/hour or more. In the long run, I find that having my cars serviced by the dealer isn't necessarily more expensive than having them serviced by independants. In addition, all three dealerships offer shuttle service, but Hyundai does not pick you up at the end of the day or whenever your car is ready.

I live in Gatineau, near Ottawa.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news: bff1a$4480b4e7$45289739$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...

Reply to
Ghislain

Wow. I'm quickly becoming very surprised by the replies I'm seeing. In my area most dealerships are up around $60 - 90 per hour for the service bays. Independents are hovering around $40.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well for those kinds of rates, I'd be using the dealer as well! That's a great way to build a relationship as long as you're not going to do the work yourself. I'm really surprised at the replies indicating the independents in different areas that are getting what the dealers get. Near me the dealers get between $60 - $90 for the service bays and the independents get around $40. If you're not doing your own work, a good independent is a much better choice around here.

Thanks for the informed reply.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't know what the Hyundai dealer is as I haven't paid for any work there yet, but the local Chrysler dealer was something like $55/hour and the one independent that I used a year ago was $50 and the work wasn't all that impressive. I've actually had better luck with the dealers than with the independents for the most part. I almost never use independents anymore. I tried one last year that was well recommended, but I felt they charged more hours for the same job as compared to the dealer so the lower rate was offset by more time.

I know lots of folks rag on dealers, but I've actually had good luck with the local Chrysler and Chevy dealerships and, so far, with Hyundai. Although, as I said, what little work I've had at Hyundai so far was all warranty recall tidbits. I did get an estimate from them when my Sonata was rear-ended by a drunk driver recently, and they came in much less than what the insurance adjuster estimated for the repair, which I thought was surprising.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Ragging on dealers is one thing I try not to do. I've had great relationships with my local car dealers for a long time. Generally I only use them for parts when I want OEM and not aftermarket, and very seldom ever take a car in for service. But - I do get advice from the mechanics and have seldom found them to be simple parts changers, or otherwise less than a full fledged mechanic. I've taken a couple of stands against those who jump to the statement that the dealer is going to screw them. I'm just shocked to hear what pricing is like for you guys. Not at all reflective of my neck of the woods.

Reply to
Mike Marlow